PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Veterans - when @craig61a said that his ASVAB scores were probably buried in a landfill 45 years ago, I realized that not everyone knew you can get most of your military related documents online, including and ERB/ORB that shows test scores, DD-214’s, travel orders, etc.

Don’t know how useful that will be to anyone, but even if just for a stroll down memory lane - they’re online and available. Look up your branch’s hr website and you can get them. You don’t need CAC access, my ebenefits information worked.

I know some folks routinely need a DD-214, and others might just want to get nostalgic for a bit. Either way, they’re out there and it was fun to kill an hour reviewing them the other day.

boatme99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Somewhere in this vast universe
Veterans - when @craig61a said that his ASVAB scores were probably buried in a landfill 45 years ago, I realized that not everyone knew you can get most of your military related documents online, including and ERB/ORB that shows test scores, DD-214’s, travel orders, etc.

Don’t know how useful that will be to anyone, but even if just for a stroll down memory lane - they’re online and available. Look up your branch’s hr website and you can get them. You don’t need CAC access, my ebenefits information worked.

I know some folks routinely need a DD-214, and others might just want to get nostalgic for a bit. Either way, they’re out there and it was fun to kill an hour reviewing them the other day.
Thanks, good information.
I'' have to check. My DD 214 went missing when a house was burglarized way back in the '80s. I replaced my birth certificates but not the 214

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Let me know a few 35 year olds that have taken it recently and I'll talk to you again. Otherwise, educate yourself.

Let me know of anyone over 35 eligible to enlist in the military (39 for USAF). Better yet, let me know of a 27 year old high school student.

I’m familiar with the process, apparently you aren’t. You can be well-removed from high school and still be required to take the ASVAB for entry. But, again, thanks for your input.

For those who aren’t here simply to troll, that HR link also has information about obtaining medical records from your time in service.

Reactions: LongHairDontCare

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Here’s the Army’s link, for those interested:

Admittedly, I didn’t look into the other branch’s links, but one of the main VA websites said they were available for all branches.

Reactions: briarbuck

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Here’s the Army’s link, for those interested:

Admittedly, I didn’t look into the other branch’s links, but one of the main VA websites said they were available for all branches.

I also just found an “Army White Pages” on this site with the contact information of tons of servicemembers, active, retired, or veterans. I was just able to locate several buddies I haven’t had contact with for several years. Another benefit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be intrigued to see what's left of my military record from the Vietnam War era. Not official material, but I was startled to discover, when I went into the history of my ship, to discover its deployments during my year aboard were not recorded. Likewise, the names of my skipper and Exec Officer were not recorded. I hope the Navy does better on its official site, but I wouldn't count on it. When I worked for the (then) Veterans Administration, great bureaucratic bungles were induced by VA numbers lost by vets, then further compounded by use of SS numbers instead. I helped track down delayed GI Bill checks for vets, some of whom had wives and kids depending on it. I didn't try to start a marriage or a family in the military. I knew that wouldn't work for me.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
@captainsousie I'm really confused how "they" are/were insulting you or your family. I truly thank you and them for their service. What were you the captain of?

We’re not. @craig61a posted that his test scores were too high to join the army, a common joke among service members but the particular tone he took made it seem genuine. An army veteran posted really high test scores and asked @craig61a to do the same, to no avail.

It became a minor thing. But, it made me want to go find my own test scores and in that effort, I discovered this website that has a pile of useful information for army veterans (other branches have their own versions) and I thought it was important enough to share.

@captainsousie obviously thinks it’s a continuation of the prior conversations about test scores and won’t let it go, taking it to a new level by arguing without facts.

I’d be fine if the mods deleted all of the nonsense in this thread and left those important bits that may be valuable to members who are veterans. I had no idea I could access all of my records and look up old buddies on an official, US Army HRC website. Just passing that along in case others are interested.

Aug 1, 2012
I'd be intrigued to see what's left of my military record from the Vietnam War era. Not official material, but I was startled to discover, when I went into the history of my ship, to discover its deployments during my year aboard were not recorded. Likewise, the names of my skipper and Exec Officer were not recorded. I hope the Navy does better on its official site, but I wouldn't count on it. When I worked for the (then) Veterans Administration, great bureaucratic bungles were induced by VA numbers lost by vets, then further compounded by use of SS numbers instead. I helped track down delayed GI Bill checks for vets, some of whom had wives and kids depending on it. I didn't try to start a marriage or a family in the military. I knew that wouldn't work for me.
Some records have been altered in the last few decades. For instance my grandmother who was a reserve supplies clerk in Utah found herself on the enlisted roles of the Navy before she passed. My mum has been trying to figure out the history behind that for a few years now.

I do thank you for your service too.

Reactions: BROBS

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
costanza-popcorn.gif

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Or, you could just get in touch with your county, or state Veterans Service Officer, the local VA, or the Service Officer at your local American Legion or VFW. They have the knowledge and the contacts to get you to the right people who can get any records you might need... WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets may have trouble getting records due to the fire that destroyed many records in Missouri back in 1973. Those records can be reconstructed with some work. In many cases your DD-214 would have forwarded to your local government upon separation.

I personally have helped a lot of people get the answers they need and steer them in right direction.

Craig
AL Executive Board 2006-2016, Post Commander 2009-2012

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
Or, you could just get in touch with your county, or state Veterans Service Officer, the local VA, or the Service Officer at your local American Legion or VFW. They have the knowledge and the contacts to get you to the right people who can get any records you might need... WWII, Korea, and Vietnam vets may have trouble getting records due to the fire that destroyed many records in Missouri back in 1973. Those records can be reconstructed with some work. In many cases your DD-214 would have forwarded to your local government upon separation.

I personally have helped a lot of people get the answers they need and steer them in right direction.

Craig
AL Executive Board 2006-2016, Post Commander 2009-2012
Yes, another great set of resources. Thank you all for your service.

-Post Commander 2018-present

Reactions: briarbuck

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
Mrs. Rookie does this (among many other things) in her job as a constitute service guru for our congressman. Lots of tracking down records, lots of badgering the VA for benefits. She speaks often of the bureaucratic nightmare looking for anything before the first Gulf War.

Very satisfying job, though, when she can get a veteran the benefits they need. And, frankly, deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.