PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
I too have really grown to like the titanium watches. This watch has been posted here before but it has gotten significant wear time and I am impressed how it has held up. It's driven by an ETA movement which has surprised me with its accuracy.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Nice one Condorlover. That clearly was originally made as a pocket watch (running seconds at 9 o'clock is a dead giveaway) and converted to being a wristwatch. I can't quite make out the name on the dial so please oblige me.

Pieces like that are becoming somewhat hard to find these days so take good care of it chum.

Regards,

Jay.
West End Watch Co made with a Swiss movement for a British War Department contract - supposedly T.E. Lawrence used wear one. As to the pocket watch you are correct. I posted another watch on here which was an anti-magnetic pocket watch in a leather wrist case also from a relative who fought in France. This one in the picture is my daily watch and as stated keeps excellent time after 100 years. Glad to see your back on the forum Jay. It has been rather quiet without your interesting news posts. Please stick round!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Condorlover (I forget your name I'm embarrassed to say) your watch likely had tritium on the hands and numerals, hence the yellowing. Of course nowadays tritium is a big no no but many other, safer applications have taken its place such as super luminova.

I shall look into the West End Watch Co in the morning, just out of curiosity. Of course many 'labels' used Swiss movements and stuck their names on the dial. You might even have an early Omega inside that case!

BTW, thanks so much for the kind words. An explanation for my disappearance will be posted soon.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Wow Condorlover, your name is niggling me so much it's interfering with my Roosevelt (Burns) documentary!

All I can recall is that you're from Blackpool (?) yet live in the States and are involved in the something Horse Tobacco Co. ?

Eureka......just got it....it's SIMON!!!!

Phew, what a relief.....now back to Eleanor Roosevelt 's efforts in making her miserable husband (her words) happy.

i knew I'd get there.....yippee!!!!

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Elessar, for what it's worth, ETA watch movements are highly regarded. Indeed, I believe they are still the most popular choice of movements for watch makers.

That said, of course ETA is part of the huge Swatch Group and have started to pull back from supplying manufacturers outside of their group.

All very sad really.

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.