PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi guys, a few might know of my interest in watches, wristwatches & pocket watches (mostly US railroad grade) and my preference has always been watches of the mechanical type, by which I mean they are hand wound or are automatic winders.

I have a few quartz watches but I much prefer mechanicals. However, last year I was reading about these new fangled HAQ (High Accuracy Quartz) watches which are deemed to be super accurate due to being thermo compensated.

Basically a regular quartz watch can vary its accuracy depending on temperature but not so these HAQ watches.

So, late in the year, about October/November time I purchased a Certina DS Podium Lap Timer watch (basically a chronograph) with an acclaimed accuracy of -10/+10 seconds per year! This I found amazing.

Then I spotted a Longines VHP (Very High Precision) three hander (just hours, minutes & seconds) with an acclaimed accuracy of -5/+5 seconds per year. This blew my mind......that is indeed some seriously accurate watch.

Anyway, on January 1st 2019 I set both of these amazing watches at 1pm using the atomic signal from Time Is.com and left them run for exactly a year to see if the claims were true.

Well I can say that on the 1st January this year the Certina was running 2 3/4 seconds fast and the Longines was running an amazing 1 second fast!!!

This really is 21st century technology at its best. Incidentally, the Longines VHP has a pretty smart feature. It can be put to sleep (thereby saving battery power) by simply pulling the crown out. After about 30 seconds all three hands spin around and settle at the 12 o'clock position and remain there until the crown is pushed back in. That could be in a week, a month, 3 years or even 5 years down the line.....and the best bit is when the crown is pushed back in all the hands spin around to the absolute correct time and the date corrects itself as it has a perpetual calendar built in.

Pretty amazing methinks.

Regards,

Jay.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Short of plotting a heist, I could never imagine needing that level of accuracy. :col:

That's pretty amazing technology.

• Haha
Reactions: Elric

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Somewhat related, for those who love clock and other mechanical works, may I suggest the movie Hugo?
It's set in the early 20thC in Paris, and there's some stunning photography in the film.

Reactions: philobeddoe

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I love watches, especially mechanical. Quite amazing that a bunch or gears and springs packed in a small case can keep accurate time. I don't own anything fancy or expensive, but I love watching the window in my Orient golden eye!

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
been wearing rolex since 97. both submarine date. both of them always end up running 5 min faster. read somewhere it's due to how i keep my watch at might. found out, if i wear it to sleep, the time is pretty accurate. but hate going to sleep with watch on. i like mechanical watches, specially automatic. but too expensive to collect them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"About time you showed up again."

Been away chum ?

When one considers that there are 86,400 seconds per day, I think that puts the accuracy of those HAQ watches into perspective.

My most accurate mechanical watch is my Tudor Pelagos (the new one with the in-house movement) which is a fantastic one second fast in 24 hours. For a mechanical watch that is some achievement. Tudor by the way are the sister company of Rolex which might explain its incredible accuracy.

Regards,

Jay.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
w
"About time you showed up again."

Been away chum ?

When one considers that there are 86,400 seconds per day, I think that puts the accuracy of those HAQ watches into perspective.

My most accurate mechanical watch is my Tudor Pelagos (the new one with the in-house movement) which is a fantastic one second fast in 24 hours. For a mechanical watch that is some achievement. Tudor by the way are the sister company of Rolex which might explain its incredible accuracy.

Regards,

Jay.

would love to have tudor pelagos. aren't they made of titanium?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"My cell has a clock and it's sync'd with the atomic clock network. "

You in prison then Elric?

Yes bullet, the new Pelagos is titanium and is light as a feather compared to the latest Omega Seamaster 8800 which is of course stainless steel. You can certainly tell which one you are wearing without even looking at it! And though the Omega was considerably more expensive than the Tudor, I much prefer the latter as I like the matte look compared with the shiny (read blingy) look of the Omega.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Nice one Condorlover. That clearly was originally made as a pocket watch (running seconds at 9 o'clock is a dead giveaway) and converted to being a wristwatch. I can't quite make out the name on the dial so please oblige me.

Pieces like that are becoming somewhat hard to find these days so take good care of it chum.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.