PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
If you were to assign a Blend to a newbie with which to learn the craft of pipe smoking, what blend would you choose?

Knowing this group well enough at this point I’ll add the caveat that you like this person and actually want to help them succeed. Lol.

So your sending him/her off with a pipe and a blend to figure out the fundamentals, what’ve ya got?

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I would choose three inexpensive and readily available bulk tobaccos with a variety of flavours, Sutliff #502 Medium English, Lane 1Q, and Low Country Natural Virginia&Burley. A couple ounces of each of them and a cob only costs a few bucks, they're easy to pack and smoke, and they should be able to determine from there whether they want to continue pipe smoking and whether they like the taste of aro flavourings or actual tobacco.

Kal

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2021
Misplaced Texan, in Ohio
I would choose three inexpensive and readily available bulk tobaccos with a variety of flavours, Sutliff #502 Medium English, Lane 1Q, and Low Country Natural Virginia&Burley. A couple ounces of each of them and a cob only costs a few bucks, they're easy to pack and smoke, and they should be able to determine from there whether they want to continue pipe smoking and whether they like the taste of aro flavourings or actual tobacco.
I have to agree with you. May add in luxury navy flake. May as well try a flake tobacco. ?

I wouldn't get involved. I know, I know, some of you are going to think me heartless and cruel. But, it has always been my experience in all things that assisting or helping people to become acclimated into things that have a steep learning curve is a sure fire way to push someone into giving up.
I make it policy to never give pipes or tobaccos to new smokers. This is an endeavor in which to put in your investment of money and time will keep you on the path. Sure, sure, some of you had help. But, it's my experience that making something cheaper or easier takes away the incentive. If I win something too easily, it wasn't worth it. Joining something that doesn't have hoops or fire to walk through, not worth my time.

IMO, it's way better to explore the blends the same as the rest of us. Do your homework. Read the reviews, and listen to the PMradioshow that brought us all here to begin with. Honestly if the cost and time of exploring blends and buying pipes is keeping someone out, then... not my problem.

However, I will help newbies by making suggestions when asked and answering direct questions. I even send out tons of tobacco samples to more experienced newbies.. I've also been very active with pipe clubs. I do want to help. I am just not about to hold someone's hands through this, nor do I think it helps the person in the long run.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I found that when I just started a ribbon cut English like Peterson 965, easily burned down to ash and tasted nice. There is a reason beginners love English blends. Stronger is often better too because developing a decent palate takes some time?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lane 1-Q is the actual winner in that category, the blend most often used by beginning pipe smokers, and especially those who continue to smoke a pipe. So I'd mention that one. It's not a favorite of mine. I have a jar with a small remaining amount, that is years old, and it's still wet as ever.

Many new pipe smokers don't know they started with 1-Q because they bought it re-named from a pipe shop. It's the most re-named blend in the world. A Forums member researched it and came up with about sixty aliases for 1-Q, and said he thought there were probably hundreds.

Personally, I'd recommend Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Chatham Manor, or SWR Aromatic. PA is a little too cocoa flavored for me. Half-and-Half is oddly edgy for a simple Virginia-burley blend. I think Granger is good, better once you have technique.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Lane 1-Q is the actual winner in that category, the blend most often used by beginning pipe smokers, and especially those who continue to smoke a pipe. So I'd mention that one. It's not a favorite of mine. I have a jar with a small remaining amount, that is years old, and it's still wet as ever.

Many new pipe smokers don't know they started with 1-Q because they bought it re-named from a pipe shop. It's the most re-named blend in the world. A Forums member researched it and came up with about sixty aliases for 1-Q, and said he thought there were probably hundreds.

Personally, I'd recommend Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall, Chatham Manor, or SWR Aromatic. PA is a little too cocoa flavored for me. Half-and-Half is oddly edgy for a simple Virginia-burley blend. I think Granger is good, better once you have technique.
I would agree with you (and many others) that a codger blend would be good for beginners. 1Q is fine, but those classics are less likely to bite with the inevitable rookie mistakes that happen (and continue to in my case). Carter Hall is still one of my favorites, although my stock is running low at this time

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
Probably Skiff Mixture or My Mix 965. Both are light on the latakia and let the orientals come out, and the Virginia in the case of Skiff. They are also easy to pack and quite light tobaccos, so a good place to start. It'd be nice to have a third non-latakia recommendation for when they get sick of the stuff, but I'm not actuall sure what would be newbie friendly. HH Old Dark Fired maybe.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Most of the Codger blends you can just scoop out of the tub or gravity feed and you are ready to go. The filling the pipe question has been answered by just scooping. I think Codger blends are good to start out on because you have Aromatics to one extreme and Latakia on the other extreme so the Codger blends are kind of middle ground. Decide if you like the taste of the old timey basic tobaccos before you venture out to the other blends.

Reactions: ofafeather

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
whatever tickles their fancy. Personally the whole idea of a beginners blend seems stupid to me. When the fact is technique is going to go much further to keeping them smoking and enjoying the pipe. I'd stress how to smoke a pipe a lot more then what blend to pick. Dry, loose, and slowly sipped is way more important then blend. Noticed from experience that goes way further then picking the right blend. I've helped break in a few newly minted pipe smokers and being there to tell them why they're burning their tongue matters.

Reactions: ofafeather

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I got a few people started out with a pouch of Prince Albert and a corn cob pipe. Prince Albert is an easy loading blend that's very forgiving in its loading technique. It has enough nicotine and flavor to keep one interested. I'd then recommend sites like this one and Tobacco Reviews so they could do some research on blends and techniques.