Asking For Advice - How to Glue This (?)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It's too bad since I like this pipe a lot. Basically the middle insert in this Peterson is the 9 mm filter plastic that binds the stem to shank. Half of that plastic, the right part was supposed to be glued to the stem (I always thought that it is molded like that) and the left part, that is left sticking out, acts like a tenon. I guess that it was glued at some point in the stem, but due to time passing by and repeated use the glue no longer held together. What would you recommend using to glue it back in? I was thinking about a plastic pistol, you know, one of those that heats up a plastic bar and uses it as adhesive, although ... that has a distinct smell, I don't know if that will ruin the stem or not ... Epoxy, or super glue would also be out of the question since the are toxic ..

20200511_211939.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is that safe? I mean since the smoke is warm and all ...
Most pipe makers that use delrin tenons use epoxy to adhere them, not to mention delrin is made from polyformaldehyde. If you're smoking hot enough to affect the tenon or adhesive enough to produce vapors, you've melted the tenon and that takes a lot of heat. Once cured, epoxy is fine.?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Most pipe makers that use delrin tenons use epoxy to adhere them, not to mention delrin is made from polyformaldehyde. If you're smoking hot enough to affect the tenon or adhesive enough to produce vapors, you've melted the tenon and that takes a lot of heat. Once cured, epoxy is fine.?
This. Unless you are smoking like JimInks proverbial winded Superman, you can’t possibly heat the epoxy enough to hurt anything.

Reactions: madox07
Status
Not open for further replies.