PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
more of an initial impression. only three bowls into the tin and i'm very impressed. there has been number of english blends i enjoyed. however, this blend so far has been most complex and satisfying.

the tin note is typical english blend, latakia. then again, i don't spend too much time with my nose in the tin. the tobacco is rather moist than others i've been smoking recently. first two bowls, i smoked without drying. third bowl, dried 25 min to crisp on the edge, and slightly moist in center.

so, first two bowls. it was different. full lat bomb, but it wasn't sharp. latakia was mellow, and smooth. just a tiny bit of creamy smoke. peppery perique was there and so was va. however, va wasn't putting out much of sweetness. these two bowls were probably acting this way since the tin was just opened.

third bowl was today. i think it's been three or four days since i popped the tin. latakia has settled down nicely. it's still smooth and mellow. and for the first time, i'm noticing incense like note from the oriental. there was a bit of pine, but nothing offensive. then out of nowhere, chocolate. not sure where that came from. towards the end of the bowl, va was strong with sweetness. just very pleasant mellow sweetness.

one thing that was also new was creaminess soon after the light. it stayed till mid bowl.

most of my artisan's blend tins are from when dunhill blends were going away. they all have old label. smoked in petes sh squire with fishtail. breath smoking was used. as usually, i had airway wide open for easy breath smoke.

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
more of an initial impression. only three bowls into the tin and i'm very impressed. there has been number of english blends i enjoyed. however, this blend so far has been most complex and satisfying.

the tin note is typical english blend, latakia. then again, i don't spend too much time with my nose in the tin. the tobacco is rather moist than others i've been smoking recently. first two bowls, i smoked without drying. third bowl, dried 25 min to crisp on the edge, and slightly moist in center.

so, first two bowls. it was different. full lat bomb, but it wasn't sharp. latakia was mellow, and smooth. just a tiny bit of creamy smoke. peppery perique was there and so was va. however, va wasn't putting out much of sweetness. these two bowls were probably acting this way since the tin was just opened.

third bowl was today. i think it's been three or four days since i popped the tin. latakia has settled down nicely. it's still smooth and mellow. and for the first time, i'm noticing incense like note from the oriental. there was a bit of pine, but nothing offensive. then out of nowhere, chocolate. not sure where that came from. towards the end of the bowl, va was strong with sweetness. just very pleasant mellow sweetness.

one thing that was also new was creaminess soon after the light. it stayed till mid bowl.

most of my artisan's blend tins are from when dunhill blends were going away. they all have old label. smoked in petes sh squire with fishtail. breath smoking was used. as usually, i had airway wide open for easy breath smoke.

was an awesome blend when it had Syrian. I stocked up.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Yep it's a nice blend for sure. I found it sweet and smooth. Not overly smoky or musty. The perique is very subtle for me, which I don't mind, as I tend to throw a pinch of perique in a lot of blends. I find this blend is great on its own, but now that I think of it, I might try it with a pinch....haha.

I was getting it to try as they were out of nightcap(which I haven't tried) how does this compare? I am guessing less smoky and not as much of a punch?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Yep it's a nice blend for sure. I found it sweet and smooth. Not overly smoky or musty. The perique is very subtle for me, which I don't mind, as I tend to throw a pinch of perique in a lot of blends. I find this blend is great on its own, but now that I think of it, I might try it with a pinch....haha.

I was getting it to try as they were out of nightcap(which I haven't tried) how does this compare? I am guessing less smoky and not as much of a punch?

i only tried peterson night cap. i enjoyed artisan's blend better. it was much smoother and for me, much more complex.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I was recently going to write up my take on Artisan’s Blend Syrian as well. I might still do it. It is an amazing blend, and I do not say that lightly. This is coming from someone with a closet full of English blends.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
It is one of my top English blends, equal to, if not slightly better than Nightcap.

I know this is weird, but in a blind side by side taste test of 3 pipe bowls each I realized I actually prefer the Cyprian version. Blasphemy I know, guess I am a heretic.
You can send me your Syrian tins in exchange for my Cyprian tins ;)

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018
It is one of my top English blends, equal to, if not slightly better than Nightcap.

You can send me your Syrian tins in exchange for my Cyprian tins ;)

If I had any left I would still smoke them too. With that said Ashton Artisan was not one I will stock up on anyway as my English tastes are different than it.

Reactions: bullet08

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was wondering about Ashton blends since they are featured on sale for three tins at PC right now. I think all but two are at the most mild end in terms of strength, but they all sound pretty good. Since I am well stocked relative to my rate of smoking, I may or may not want three tins of anything right now, but it is surely tempting. Thank you for the review. I either hadn't seen or paid much attention to Ashton brand blends in the past.

Reactions: bullet08

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I absolutely love this one. It was available at my local B&M, but I skipped it for a long time because the tin art looked like it was filled with play doh. Wish I hadn't judged it by its cover.

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
my absolute favourite. I think it is the black cavendish in it which contributes to the sweetness of the smoke, which I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.