PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
This tin was the 2015 version which contains Syrian Latakia.

Summary: Smoke it now if you have some on hand before the Syrian fades further. More aging will likely not improve this blend.

The tin note was mouth watering. The smoky Lat and exotic notes of the orientals are the stuff that dreams are made of.

The leaf was still moist but needs no drying. The inner wrapping papers were stained and oily, looking like old parchment. The overall hue of the springy ribbon cut tobacco was very dark, with a sprinkling of lighter leaf throughout.

The blend, overall, is a sweet, smooth, complex English. The incense and spice of the Orientals are evenly balanced by the smooth, smoky Latakia, trading back and forth throughout the bowl for your attention. The retrohale is without roughness and brings forth spice and sandalwood, underlaid by light sweetness.

The aftertaste lingers lightly and pleasantly.

This is what Early Morning Pipe wishes it was.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nice review. The spice and sandalwood in particular... Sounds amazing. Never tried this blend before the Syrian went away. I should try it at some point now, since I like Cyprian Latakia just as much, if not more than Syrian, based on my limited experiences with the latter.

I really wish I'd gotten a chance to try fresh Syrian, as everything I had it in was stock leftover from prior decades and had attenuated. Maybe some day. Probably not, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.