PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The universal question that pipe smokers the world over ask is when do I ash? Ash you ask, what is it too ash? When your pipe goes out instead of trying to relight the bowl through a pile of ash, you gently stir the ash. Then you tip the bowl and dump said ash into your ashtray. You then tamp your tobacco and then relight. I might have to ash 2-4 times a bowl it all depends if I am paying attention or not. I never think about trying to smoke my pipe to the bottom on one light. I hardly ever do it as I am usually typing or reading and my pipe goes out because I forget to puff.
Now that you understand the principle of ashing, ask yourself how have you lived this long, not knowing when to ash.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Asked and answered countless times: :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashing

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
george, lol, I knew all that but decided to keep my post a little simpler than that. I didn't want to show how smart I was by posting that info from my memory. :mrgreen:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I was just thinking about a piece of ash.
I quit thinking about that years ago. Gets in the way of my smoking and drinking.
Now that you understand the principle of ashing, ask yourself how have you lived this long, not knowing when to ash.
Ummm. When you're done smoking?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Dumping the ash, from about mid-bowl on down, does seem to re-invigorate the flavor. Different chamber shapes and dimensions complicate the issue, so some trial and error is in order.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most bowls, I don't dump ash at all. But sometimes I do. I think it depends on the blend, it's cut, and the burning characteristics. In most cases, the ash tamps down so completely, stopping to dump doesn't seem to matter. Tamping does not put out the pipe, and I can keep going. But on some bowls, when you go to tamp, there is a ridge around the edge of the bowl of ash, and pushing it down seems to hide the ember and pack down the unsmoked tobacco under a layer of ash. Usually the pipe is out. Then I stir the ash at the top and dump it gently, then tamp the pipe, and if there is enough unburnt leaf below, relight. For me, in many cases, dumping would be waste motion, but when it's needed, it improves the smoke a lot.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I dump occasionally. I try to dump once a day. If I take my fiber supplement it’s like clock work.

:rofl:
As far as ash goes it depends on how the pipe is going. About 30 seconds ago while smoking some marlin flake cube cut in a Ryan Alden Dublin I had the pipe go out on me halfway through. So I stirred, dumped, tamped and relit.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
And then there are some who take pictures of their ashes, yeah ashes, you read it right.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/fascinating-ashes

Status
Not open for further replies.