SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 17, 2019
I know Ascorti is going to be shutting down. Tovacco Corti noted a few months back that he was getting older and that there was no one to take on the family business. Did the maker of Ascorti make Caminetto as well or are Caminetto independent. I know that Caminetto was started by 3 or 4 gents but, I do not know who makes them now.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Pipe Collector 34

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
This is sad news, I much cherish My A. and C. pipes.
According to Pipedia Gianni Davoli is the "last chimney standing " , but I'm not sure how
accurate this is.
I think this is more updated info :

java3

Lurker
Jan 13, 2018
I certainly enjoy all of the Cams that I have......................I have a couple of early edition Caminettos when the original 3 makers 1st began after leaving Castello.

Time stands still for no one though, does it?

Pipe Collector 34

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Luigi Radice, while slowing down and devoting himself to his creative and imaginative side, is still at the workshop. Radice pipes are still as good or even better than Ascorti, Caminetto, or even, gasp, Castello for a fraction of the price. I love all of them, but you will not go wrong with Radice.

• Love
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
As i remenber , Ascorti and Radice were the makers of Caminetto. Davoli was involved on "sales" and image and was not a pipemaker. After the split , Ascorti retained the Caminetto name.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I used to collect Ascorti/Caminetto pipes, and then moved to Castello and Radice. Nothing against the Ascortis, I was just drawn more to the Castello and Radice aesthetic more than Ascorti.

Ascortis were just a tad big for my liking and I can get smaller shapes from the other two brands.

Plus, you can get vulcanite stems from Radice, and I really like that!

But if Ascorti is closing shop, that is a shame. They put out some wonderful pipes, and it will be a loss to have one of the original carvers of Castello fade from the industry.

Chris from Cigarworld

Might Stick Around
Nov 21, 2022
Lübeck, Germany
www.cigarworld.de
I know Ascorti is going to be shutting down. Tovacco Corti noted a few months back that he was getting older and that there was no one to take on the family business. Did the maker of Ascorti make Caminetto as well or are Caminetto independent. I know that Caminetto was started by 3 or 4 gents but, I do not know who makes them now.

Can anybody enlighten me?

Pipe Collector 34
Caminetto Pipes are nowadays made by Tommaso Ascorti.

I wrote this text on our website:
"The background of the pipe brand Caminetto is intertwined, and as is so often the case, one comes across the same names in Italian pipe manufacturers. Especially in Cantu.

Caminetto goes back to Guiseppe Ascorti and Luigi Radice, who were employed by Castello in the 1960s. Together with Gianni Davoli they went into business for themselves, and their pipes became very successful in the USA and Europe. After long personal quarrels and a lot of back and forth, it was over in the 80s.

But the brand was revived in 2013 by the founder's grandson, Tommaso Ascorti.

Caminetto pipes are characterized by excellent workmanship and the very best wood quality. Great importance is attached to perfect smokability. The trademark is the "Baffo" - the mustache of the founder.

The design of the pipes is based on classics, but with typical Italian freedom in interpretation. Caminetto pipes are certainly not super cheap "bargains", but they are definitely worth the money. Anyone who has smoked a Caminetto will confirm this.

All caminettos are unique pieces, handmade."

Reactions: OzPiper