PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I am finishing my first tin of Ascanian #2. Being very impressed with the tobacco, I have decided to buy some for the cellar. It is offered in 50 grams tins with one of those "soft" lids, in 100 grams paint can style tins and 250 grams packs. I don´t know the quality or material of the latter since I have never bought one of Dan Tobacco economy packs. The soft lid in the 50 gram tins is something about which I have no experience regarding long term storage. Which one would you reccommend for long term storage?.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am finishing my first tin of Ascanian #2. Being very impressed with the tobacco, I have decided to buy some for the cellar. It is offered in 50 grams tins with one of those "soft" lids, in 100 grams paint can style tins and 250 grams packs. I don´t know the quality or material of the latter since I have never bought one of Dan Tobacco economy packs. The soft lid in the 50 gram tins is something about which I have no experience regarding long term storage. Which one would you reccommend for long term storage?.
There is a pop top under the “soft” lid so until you pop that, it’s fully sealed.

I’d just get the bag and jar it because I’m assuming it’s the best deal.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
There is a pop top under the “soft” lid so until you pop that, it’s fully sealed.

I’d just get the bag and jar it because I’m assuming it’s the best deal.
Thank you. The tin I am smoking (bought one year ago) had the "soft" lid (the pop lid) a little bulged towards the outside, showing that air pressure inside the tin was higher than air pressure in the outside (may be if I had checked it under different air pressure in the otside it would have seemed OK). That´s the reasson I am uncertain about long term storage with that kind of packaging. Even though the bigger packages are a better deal, the difference is minimum (less than 1$ per 50 grams). I prefer 50 grams tins simply due to my preference for changing tobacco frequently and finishing open tins before opening the next.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Thank you. The tin I am smoking (bought one year ago) had the "soft" lid (the pop lid) a little bulged towards the outside, showing that air pressure inside the tin was higher than air pressure in the outside (may be if I had checked it under different air pressure in the otside it would have seemed OK). That´s the reasson I am uncertain about long term storage with that kind of packaging. Even though the bigger packages are a better deal, the difference is minimum (less than 1$ per 50 grams). I prefer 50 grams tins simply due to my preference for changing tobacco frequently and finishing open tins before opening the next.
That’s simply the pressure between the sealed metal top and the plastic lid.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have limited experience, St Bernard's flake I only bought the 250g pack (twice) and it was fine, Old Ironsides I got a tin at first and then the 250g pack which had more broken flakes than neat flakes the tin had. I went straight for the 250g pack of Ascanian No2 which is almost a ready rubbed so can't comment any further. Since you liked it - it is one of my current favourites - I'd go straight for the 250g pack and jar in flip top jars.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
I bought multiple 250 gr bags from Estervals a couple of years ago. There was more than a few dollars savings at the time. I prefer longer term storage in Mason jars of mylar bags so I'd buy that way again.
You are right, you get 250 grams for the price of 200 grams tinned. I had made the calculations between the 100 and 50 grams tins. Maybe I´ll go for the jarring option.
It´s been many years since I have tried a new tobacco that has instantly become a favorite. And it is different from other tobaccos which I know. I am sorry to have missed the versions with Latakia, I think they probably were very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.