Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've noticed less desire to try new blends. Not that I don't want to try new blends but the excitement is certainly muted. I used to look at sites and think some day I'll try all of these, now I look at sites and think nah don't need to know. I just wondered at what point other people reached the same observations. Yeah even people that knew that the first time they smoked blend X Y or Z. Or also love to hear from the I have never reached that point and never think I will, if they realized a new blend next week it have to go in my cellar.

Reactions: crawdad

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'm about three years in and my excitement for new blends has faded as well.
One reason is that I have discovered some great blends that I always enjoy smoking.
Another reason is that the majority of the blends I have tried have not been as good as the best ones. So the chances of hitting jackpot with a new blend grow slimmer with each new blend tried.
I still want to try new blends, only not as often as before.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I would like to get this way. I am forty+ years in and I still fight the allure of new blends (and not very well :).) I am sure that I am now past the 300 blend mark. I have gone quite deep on some favorites but, I am a sucker for untried classics (getting to be fewer of these) and new blends from good sources. About the only new blends that I punt on are cigar leaf and “non-traditional” tobaccos. I passed on the HH Rustica and the Warped blends. The Hansom Flake and the C and D Small batches got me.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Got there rather quickly. But I'm still buying for the cellar. And since I'm buying, get something different so I don't get bored. I can think of few blends that I would be happy with for rest of the time.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob and dcon

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I go for periods where I don't buy a new blend and stick with blends I've always smoked. Then it happens....you all start talking about a blend that is similar to what I normally smoke but is better and my curiosity peaks. Damn This Disease.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob and dcon

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I have many many tins I haven’t had the time to crack because I tend to reach for what I know I like instead of gambling on a possible dud. It doesn’t seem to quell my desire to purchase things to try. Maybe some day.

so many blends, so little time?‍♂️

• Love

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I still love trying new blends but I'm pickier about what I try. It's almost like in certain genres I play a little game of King of the Mountain and try to knock my favorite blend off the top. It's going to be really hard to knock SG St James Flake off the top of the VaPer mountain but I love to try! I just don't cellar the losers. Much. I still find some that are worth having more of occasionally.

• Love

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
For me this hobby is all about the tobacco...I’m less interested in the pipes themselves, and the desire to try new blends is still strong for me after 12 years in.

I just started liking burley blends, for instance, and now I’ve got to try them all...

That being said, if I had nothing but Old Gowrie, Chelsea Morning, Yorktown and maybe 5Brothers, I’d be happy as a clam, and I’m starting to cellar deeper on those blends as they are really my confirmed favorites.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I built my cellar quickly over the past 3 years, as I realized that I like most non-aro blends.

My cellar is 3/4 things I've never even tasted. I have no fear...

My shopping has diminished a lot, though I still peruse the offerings and have difficulty resisting a bargain.

For instance, I've not tried any Iwan Ries blends, so when I saw their free shipping offer, I got their sampler of some non-aro house blends and added a few staples. That added 2.5 pounds to the war chest at under $3.50 per ounce.

Now...where to store it... :rolleyes:

1588728901094.jpeg