PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
Hi all. My tobacco trials have been mostly with english blends and virginias. The first aromatic that I have tried is Hobbit's Weed. It is a cherry vanilla mix. Somedays I like it and others it is just bitter. I think drying it out helps get rid of the bitterness. Anyway, I am looking for other aromatics to try. I have seen in the forums where a couple of aromatics have been compared but I am looking for more ideas. I am not much into rum or whiskey but like vanilla, cherry, nutty and chocolate but am willing to give anything a try if there is a chance that I may like it. I look forward to hearing your opinions.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Hi Midwest, Yes I've gotten into the 7 Seas because of reading about it here and I recommend it. The Royal has an incredible chocolate feel and is very smooth and mild. It needs a bit of drying time IMO. I'm a pete nut so I smoke alot of Sunset Breeze and Nutty Cut. I have on order some Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake and really looking forward to that. The best advice is just try different blends. The fun is in the journey.

kmreleaser

Lurker
Mar 8, 2012
I like Black Cavendish Blends myself. ALmost all are really similar at the beginning, but half way though the bowl you start getting the real taste.
You can try Stanwell Melange.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I like Scottys Butternut Burly, I think it has a little more depth than Q1. IMO

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
A perspective from a guy who doesn't smoke many aros, and who also leans toward vanilla:

If I want a lot of vanilla taste, I choose MacBaren's Vanilla Cream.

For a nice vanilla smell, but a good tobacco taste, I like Stanwell's Vanilla - lots of orientals in there.

For inexpensive, Prince Al's Soft Vanilla Cavendish or Cherry Vanilla gets the nod. Both - esp the Cv - have good tobacco taste.

You might also like cross-over English blends. I am currently enjoying Altadis Burma Road, a nice medium English with a chocolate/vanilla top note.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
If you want something really sweet then try Petersons limited editions like the 2011 and Christmas ones. Otherwise the mac Barnes 7 seas get my vote.

Another cracker is Dan's Sweet Vanila Honeydew, ones of the best I've tasted.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I don't smoke aromatics anymore, but when I did I always thought that the Peterson limited editions went pretty heavy on the burley. Can anyone verify if this is still the case?

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I have not tried it yet but from what I have read, Dan tobaccos Devils Holiday is highly reccomended. It is black cavendish with a bit of virginia, and cased with a wild forest berries topping. The aromatic flavouring comes through very strong. I find with alot of aromatics they smell great in the tin, but there is not taste.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
bigvan.... I do not think that is the case with the recent Peterson's they are almost all stoved Cavendish, I rarely smoke Aromatics, but if you want something that tastes sweet the Peterson's Reserve series are the way to go. I also like the Macbarens Vanilla Cream Flake, and the Peterson DeLuxe Mixture, it has a Walnut, and Honey flavor.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
But that's the thing about cavendish... it's not really a type of tobacco but a process. You can make cavendish out of burley or virginia. The ones I remember seemed to rely heavily on burley.
I did enjoy MB Vanilla Cream as it was all Virginia.

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
As far as aromatics go, 1Q is a fine smoke. I also enjoy Black Kathy and Dark Decadence from Altadis. Black Kathy has hints of vanilla, whereas Dark Decadence has more of a cocoa undertone. Both are black cavendish.

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
Hi Midwest, for something on the really sweet side, try Sutliff's Molto Dolce and if you like chocolate I would suggest 2 friends English Chocolate or Halfling's Leaf from our own pipeinhand. :puffy:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Try Peter Stokkebye's lineup. I've tried B&B ( my favorite and all-purpose smoke ) , Black Vanilla ( pretty good unless it's dry ), Cinnamon ( decent but wet ), Black Majesty ( alright-ish, kinda bland ), Black Kathy ( blahhhh flavor .... smells good though, use as incense ??? ). Cube Cut has a nice nutty-like flavor too and it's just plain cool-looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.