PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
I bought some bulk 1Q and PS Nougat and left them in the baggies. Now the tobacco has dried all the way.
Should I try to humidify the bags in my cigar humidor? It is empty at the moment since I'm a reformed pipester.
I noticed that the aroma was just not there and it had a dry quality to the smoke. My mother used apples slices as a way to extend the life of a loaf of bread. An old country fixer to be sure, but Im wondering if it might give a good apple taste to the 1Q.
Any suggestions?

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I would not put it in your humidor. It will both over humidify it and ruin the humidor. If you have a local B&M they often sell little clay disks one can wet and put in the bag, adding moisture without going too far or creating mold. Is the tobacco too dry or is it smoking dry? If it is smoking dry, I would just transfer to mason jars and keep them sealed tight.

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
It is a lil too dry like dusty and brittle. I could put a humidifier jar in the baggie maybe..

I neglected jarring them because aros don't need aging. Guess they still need jarring

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
If it's not completely turned to dust you can rehydrate it.
Dump the tobacco out into a wide bowl or baking dish and cover it with a damp cloth.

Don't let the cloth touch the tobacco.
Let this sit overnight and stir / check the next day.
Once you have some moisture back in it, jar it up and let it rest for a month ... or three.
Good luck!

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Also http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco/pipe-tobacco-rehydration/

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I rehydrated some Petersons Holiday Blend from 2012 in a large Ball jar and a water pillow thrown in. Took a few weeks, but the damp cloth method didnt work at all.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
You need to store tobacco, non-aro or aro, in something that will keep it from drying out. Mason jars are best. The conventional wisdom is that aro's don't benefit from aging, so you should not plan on keeping them for 10 years in the hope that they will improve and grow into something fabulous, but you still don't want them to dry out. You can re-hydrate, but it won't be quite the same as it was when fresh.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I have rehydrated tobacco before by spraying it with water and glycerine but in this situation I would think a trip to the store and a replacement purchase might be a better bet

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I still use the good old fashioned slice of apple method and I find it leaves no significant changes to the flavor. I would go with the humidity disks and try them just out of curiosity, but the old apple slice in the pouch works just fine for me.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I still use the good old fashioned slice of apple method
My father has done this for years, but people on the forum and elsewhere caution that this may promote the growth of mold or other nasty things. Has that happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.