PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many Forums members smoke non-aromatics first or only and consider aromatics a lesser genre. I prefer non-aromatics mostly, though I have come back around to some aromatics for a change of pace in rotation. A year or two back one of our resident blenders on Forums, Russ O., reminded us that more than 90% of tobacco sales are aromatic. Many of Russ' monthly blends and others are aromatic, though he is also a master blender of non-aromatics. So aromatic pipe tobacco, its smokers, and that market are what sustain the pipe tobacco industry. Without them, this would be a much smaller and less interesting activity. I try to remember that in discussions and posts, even as I pack another non-aromatic in my pipe.

Reactions: briarbuda48

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I keep a couple of aros around for those times when "everything else" seems kind of ho hum. That's about every 6 to 8 weeks. Definitely worth exploring them.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even good old ancient Granger is technically an aromatic, with molasses flavoring, and it is listed as either by different retailers, since its base Kentucky rough cut is so fundamental to its brand. Various condiment tobaccos serve as flavorings, so the definition is often slightly blurred.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
They’ve always been a regular, if lesser, part of my rotation. They are also the primary focus of my home blending efforts

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, I had a superb smoke couple of days ago pu-ffing on Sillem's Schwarz. Just had a bowl of Escudo and it was quite lackluster. Aros FTW!

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
I've never been a fan of aro's, but recently accidentally discovered one I actually like. Troost Baai, a shag cut blonde tobacco that is both sweet and flavorful. Shares some similarity to Troost slices, possibly the same leaf but with a different cut and flavorings. Smokes cleanly with no gunk or moisture build up. If it was easy to obtain, I would stock up. It's not, so I won't.

Jun 23, 2019
I've also noticed that Aros seem to get lower ratings overall across the websites. My hypothesis is that aromatics tend to vary a lot more in taste than your other classifications (Balkans, Englishes, Va/Pers, pure Virginias, etc) so people tend to have a wider range of reactions to them.

. I try to remember that in discussions and posts, even as I pack another non-aromatic in my pipe.
Yeh, my mental filter (or lack thereof) doesn't give a rat's posterior about the industry as a whole, or putting folks in the industry on pedestals... if we want truly honest discussions about what is good and bad, we can't let this sort of stuff get in our way.
I have no problems with aromatics as a whole. There are many that I like and keep in rotation, but if an aromatic sucks, then I say so. Or, if I have a criticism about a company or a blender or a pipe maker... I just call it as I see it. puf

Oh, and not to forget pipe sellers... the only way you get a filter from me on my opinions is if they are site sponsors. I'll keep my trap shut for those jerks, ha ha. puf

No one gets any prizes for kissing ass. pu

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With Forums members, personal independence is a given. Still, part of personal independence is knowing where the revenue steam flows and reacting accordingly, if by choice. All my favorite non-aromatic blends depend on keeping the blenders in business; not my responsibility, but worth noting.

Yes, I even use that as a statistical tool for my forum toolbox, especially when I see people using forum opinions as if they are a true sampling of the whole pipesmoking genre, which we are not.
But, I also have to wonder how many people buy a pipe and an aromatic to take home and figure this all out on their own. Then, they burn their tongue because they are trying to puff hard enough to taste the tobacco (which you can't taste most aros)... then they throw the pipe and tobacco into a drawer never to try again. How much of that makers up aromatic sales. puf

Reactions: milehighpiper

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
I think the thing about Aeros is that it's what most people start one when they have no idea what they are doing, and get bitten and burned out on them, or expand their tastes into other types they move on to other non areo blends. But I think once you learn the roaps of smoking a pipe, people come back to them, and quite honestly it's a whole new experience as a seasoned pipe smoker. I keep about 3 in regular rotation (aka atleast smoked a couple times a month) and have several others Jared up that I smoke once In a great while. I dont think I would lament the loss of them, with the exception of maybe one, but I do enjoy the change of pace and palette reset they bring. And I really enjoy mixing them with my regular blends for a unique and fresh taste

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I am cursed with loving all genres. Or maybe it’s my wallet that is cursed cause I’m having a hell of a good time! Cellar wide and deep. Pipe tobacco is not going to get cheaper and you never know when your favorite could go away.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
I've gone from smoking aro's exclusively in the beginning to favoring Virginia's and English's, but recently decided that I actually like a quality aro and there's nothing to be ashamed about! I figure tobacco is just like food in that sometimes the ingredients stand on their own (Greek yogurt, for example) and other times they are enhanced by other ingredients (Greek yogurt with honey and cinnamon). Therefore I've embarked on my latest pipe journey to find the best aro's out there. Plus, because I'm not raising my own tobacco, I do think it's important to support those who make it available to me!

Reactions: leafsmoker

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
The main goal is to make them smell good, especially to people around you. If you take that consideration out of the equation then you're not left with much. I'm not sure if Bob's Chocolate Flake and 1792 flake count as true aromatics, but that's as close as I get. For me, taste is the only goal. If aromatics tasted as good as non-aro I'd smoke them. Come on blenders... just make an aromatic that tastes like Westminster or Solani 633 and then we have a deal.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I smoke both (70/30 leaning more towards non-aromatic blends). I have smoked some goopy, hot, tongue searing blends that taste ok and I am currently smoking a cool, creamy, flavorful English blend. I fell for the “smells like fruit so it must taste like fruit scheme”. Now I sniff for that deep earthy tobacco scent and have narrowed down my top 6 blends that I smoke regularly and most are English blends. I think that no matter what you smoke, we are all supporting the hobby/lifestyle!

Status
Not open for further replies.