PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2016
I don't smoke Aromatics but I just got this idea today out of the blue that I'll do just that this Winter and especially for Christmas. So fellow pipers what Aromatics do you favor in the Jolly Season?

Reactions: lightmybriar

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Picked up some Boswells Christmas Cookie recently and have enjoyed this blend. It is sweet aromatic that burns well. Pom Holiday is another one that is a recent discovery and highly recommend checking out.

Sutliff also makes a few holiday themed tobaccos- Pumpkin Spice, and have a pouch of some Christmas one that has a Cinnimon flavor not too bad. Plus some Vanilla Custard or Hot Chocolate are great options.

Jun 9, 2018
England
This years Peterson Summertime special edition is nice, it has a black currant and apple topping, the 2019 Special Reserve from Peterson was good as well, that one tastes of chocolate and coffee and is delicious.
If you're in the UK the Gawith Christmas Edition is lovely, it has a strong cherry, almond and vanilla flavour.

Reactions: BROBS

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
I enjoy Figgy Pudding from the Country Squire. They have another seasonal blend called Cordial Friends that I might order this year. I'd like to try Boswell's Christmas Cookie as well.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The best winter or Christmas blend I've found are no longer available in the U.S. as they were made by Kohlhase & Kopp. I particularly liked the Kohlhase & Kopp Winter Editions and Rattray's Winter Editions. I have about 200g of each in my cellar from past years.

I'm currently smoking my last jar of Peterson Holiday Season 2017 and it's good also. I just haven't seen the Peterson Holiday Season since then.

I have multiple tins of Golden Days of Yore, Corn Cob Pipe & A Button Nose, and Jolly Old St. Nicholas. They are all decent smokes but I prefer the Jolly Old St. Nicholas over the other two.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Virginialover, as the music goes "your mileage may vary', but here are some available aromatic blends I puff come the colder weather:

Wilkes - Rumcake (Rum, natch.....all year smoker for me)
Rattrays - Bagpipers Dream (Cognac)
SPC - Plum Pudding Barrel Age (Bourbon)
Comoy's Cask No.2 - Port/Chocolate/Vanilla
Petersons - Connoisseurs Choice (mix liquors....all year smoker for me)
Sillems - Copenhagen Blend (Almond/Amoretto)
Dan - Devil's Holiday (Berry/Liquor)

...not going to summon the grisly specter of "What's really an aromatic?!?" in this thread, but the above all mix topping that bring noticeable flavor notes (beyond just room note) that meld with tobacco flavor. The list sits in between "all sticky top-note/empty cavendish and "I don't like Aro's so I'm going to list some Virginia Flake that has two drops of sugar water in the casing when people ask about aro recommendations" tobacco's. Rumcake and Cask No. 2 heavier towards the top note on the list, SPC and Rattrays tilt tobacco. Love em' all, regular smokers for me.

Mar 29, 2016
Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm getting Trout Stream, Pumpkin Spice and Creme Brulee mostly for the availability. Can't wait for the Christmas tree, the atmosphere and the Christmas music while I puff away.

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
I just ordered Golden days of yore and Corncob pipe and a button nose for the holiday season. I think the family will appreciate those room notes. However, Boswell's Christmas Cookie will get a lot of action too as that's a favorite aro.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I’m a little late here but I‘ll throw my 2 cents in anyway- I almost never smoke aromatics with one exception- G&H Black & Brown. It is a little sweet and has a vanilla topping, but the usual G&H virginias are there and aren’t drowned by the topping. It also has some backbone, unlike most aros. Very traditionally pipey, crowd pleasing room note too.

Reactions: BROBS and Jwebb90

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Thank you all for the suggestions, I'm getting Trout Stream, Pumpkin Spice and Creme Brulee mostly for the availability. Can't wait for the Christmas tree, the atmosphere and the Christmas music while I puff away.
Trout Stream is rather good [Haven't tried the other two]
Butternut Burley is another favourite aro.

Although I enjoy non-goopy aromatics, I couldn't smoke many of them all day.
One exception is Orlik Racing Green. Shame it isn't sold in bulk.

Status
Not open for further replies.