PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidy97

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
Tx
Gatsby flake I thought was close to orlik golden sliced and Reiner flake.

Erinmore flake and university flake are two aromatics to try.

Reactions: scottygod

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
How would you describe the Lakeland essence? It gives me pause. But I had read mixed things about McClelland's process and ended up really liking it.
There are many different lakeland tobacco's produced by GH/S Gawiths.They vary greatly dont believe some of the crap posted by some of the people who are just perpetuating what they have read.try them for yourself .

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
If you're looking for a more VA oriented flake with a light topping, I would second the recs for Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, and mention Sutliff's Virginia Slices as well. The toppings on these are pretty light and meant to mostly accentuate the VAs. These also have the advantage of being cheap and easy to find.

University Flake uses darker, stronger VAs and some burleys, but has a fruity topping. I actually prefer C&D's Exhausted Rooster for a blend in that vein, though. I would probably add Erinmore into this category as well. All fine blends worth a try.

Has anyone mentioned Mac Baren's Modern Virginia? It was released as a non-aromatic at first, but it has been re-categorized by some retailers as an aromatic now, because the topping is such a strong apricot. I hated it at first, with the mindset that I wanted a Virginia, but as an aromatic, it is great, because you get some tobacco flavor in the mix with the fruity apricot.

University Flake uses darker, stronger VAs and some burleys, but has a fruity topping.
Also, Rattray's Wallace Flake is the original recipe for University Flake. (someone else could probably better explain what company did what for Rattrays to end up with the original formula) It is a little stronger in the topping with a different tobacco flavor profile, but I enjoy it more than University. YMMV

scottygod

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2013
Arizona
www.etsy.com
Has anyone mentioned Mac Baren's Modern Virginia? It was released as a non-aromatic at first, but it has been re-categorized by some retailers as an aromatic now, because the topping is such a strong apricot. I hated it at first, with the mindset that I wanted a Virginia, but as an aromatic, it is great, because you get some tobacco flavor in the mix with the fruity apricot.

Also, Rattray's Wallace Flake is the original recipe for University Flake. (someone else could probably better explain what company did what for Rattrays to end up with the original formula) It is a little stronger in the topping with a different tobacco flavor profile, but I enjoy it more than University. YMMV

That sounds promising. Thanks!

Reactions: ofafeather

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018

How I know it is that Kolhase & Kopp (or just KK, not sure about the spelling) used to make Peterson tobaccos, and now they're using the recipe they had procured then to make a same blend, just under a name they still have the rights to.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
+1 for the Solani Mango Flake it’s very good.

i would also highly recommend Sam Gawith’s Bothy Flake, it you’re venturing out of the fruity realm. It’s got a really nice scotch whiskey topping that I really enjoy.

the country squire sells their house blends online and they’ve got a great aromatic English called Northwest Trek, and another called Hunting Creek, they’re similar and both really enjoyable. The hunting creek is a bit on the sweeter vanilla end, and it’s a crowd pleaser in terms of room note.

Status
Not open for further replies.