PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Looking at my racks today I noticed that most of my pipes seem to me from the same few makers. At my high point I have had about 150 pipes in my collection. Dunhill,Peterson, Savinelli, Boswell, Ben Wade, Comoy, Ashton, So on & So on.... I have been slowly selling many as (FOR ME) it was just to many to give proper attention. Anyway I have noticed that there are about 4 makers that are dominate in what remains, and to what I would buy in the future. I guess I would be brand loyal. Maybe it is cause I have had good luck with these makers, or maybe not so good luck with other makers. I have strayed at times to get something new, and sometimes disappointed. Most if not all of my pipe buying is done on the net, and even with some sites giving great descriptions it just doesn't replace how it feels in the hand. So there have been a couple times where I buy and resale just as fast, only because it didn't "FEEL RIGHT". Which brings me back to the brands I trust. Has anyone else felt the same and seem to stick to certain makers? For me Boswell still takes upmost of my racks, followed close by Savinelli, and dare I say DR. Grabow.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
For me I'd probably say Savinelli takes my top spot. I always come back to that brand.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Castello takes up the majority of my rack but their new productions are not in my wheelhouse and I don't see myself buying many/any more brand new. Though SP did have a large Collection bent dublin that I hemmed and hawed over until it sold so I guess there will be exceptions.
I figure if I don't buy more Castellos I'll likely branch out to other brands, possibly the smaller carvers, since I've mostly stuck with artisan-factory pipes rather than solo artisan pipes. It's too bad the Great Danes sell for so much because I feel like many of the artisans try to mimic them and I'd rather have the original.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I have more than four Perry's, Savs, Petersons, MM cobs, Stanwells and Johs, and two or more of BC, Chacom, Kaywoodie, Benton (Iwan Ries house pipes) and probably about thirty of various other brands -- Parker, Ropp, Vaillard, Genod, Britannia, Plymouth, etc. etc. So yes, I have accumulated multiples of a few brands, and singles of many others. A few of my high end pipes are singles, notably SJ, Ferndown, and Bob Hayes. Most smoke really well, high and low end.

duffer

Lurker
Mar 7, 2017
Started with Save and Petes but really like Castello. I have added two. Also like Tinsky and Wiley. I now look for Estate Dunhill and Barlinge

Any Quality pipe in the budget gets consideration.

exterminatewho

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2017
TBH I just started out, but I've been gravitating more towards Stanwell's and Savinellis, their $80-$150 dollar pipes mostly.
I've heard that in that price range, those two brands are pretty solid (thanks to all those on the forums for helping me pick out pipes).

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
After starting off with a Drug Store Legend and finding that I was interested, I started buying estates.

I looked for what looked like a 'value' to me and didn't spend much per pipe, and now have over 70.

I think I may have too many.

I did, however, get to see pipes from all over the world and from many well known and several more obscure pipe producers and distributors, and that is an integral part of my pleasure from this tobacco enjoyment hobby.

I've got more Grabows than any other Briar....they're like my briar 'cobs' in that they're American made, durable, inexpensive, and wonderfully functional.

For instance: yesterday I received an auction win in the mail. I had offered $30.00 plus nominal shipping for two pipes.

One is a Savinelli Trevi and the other an Ascorti La Silvana. They arrived with a lot of rim gunk and cake and their shanks were rather loaded with residue, but I played online poker and worked on 'em for a few hours and even put some tobacco through the Ascorti, already.

More pipes in my future? Yes.Why? Because I can. Need more pipes? Heck no.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Mostly Italians, Ardor, Caminetto, Castello, Ser Jacopo, Mastro De Paja for me. Though I do have a sampling of Dunhill, Wilmer, GBD and Peterson.
I'm on the lookout for a nice Charatan to add to the collection.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looking at my herd just to see any patterns, but most from a single maker is Bruce Weaver. From there, most of them fall into Danish and Italian.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
In looking at my current racks I guess I've wandered into brand specific territory. Dunhill (all pre-1968), Sasieni, Comoy (both pre-80's) and Charatans (pre-1960).
I have a couple of pipes from artisans, but by far Ryan Alden holds court.
Those are my briars. I also have Meerschaum pipes, we cannot forget the Meerschaum.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Some makers just "get it" about what makes a pipe good for people like me. Who are people like me? People who smoke like me, or maybe people of the same height, or who like Royal Yacht. Dunno there.
But, it's good to have loyalty to people who do something right because if I have learned anything about humans, it's that most of us are screwing up most of the time. Comedy, it is.

Oct 7, 2016
I have been intrigued by Castellos since I saw, and bought, my first one in 1980. I find their current production as good as ever. I have gravitated more towards Old Antiquaris, and a few Sea Rocks, though I have two Collections and one Trademark, possibly the ugliest 55 ever made, but I grabbed it from one of Pipestuds auctions for less than $100. It had not even been fully broken in, but for me it has been a smoking machine.
I have bought several current production Ser Jacopo sandblasts new and find them to be every bit the equal of my Coral Dots. But be careful with the smooths. Briar Blues recently listed one on eBay and described it as having two tiny fills. I believe I spotted them, on the bottom, from his pictures. I doubt seriously that Marble Arch, the US distributor, would have brought that pipe in. Be careful. Filled smooths are supposed to be stamped Le Fuma (to add to the confusion not all Le Fumas have fills), but in my experience a few smooths with fills have occasionally leaked through the gray market to the US.
I have a couple of Radices, and Al Pascia has had two sand grains that I would have bought had they not had Vulcanite stems. I refuse to pay a $40 premium for the privilege of having to worry about oxidation.
With those three makers still, IMHO, turning out products that are first rate, my budget, even though I focus on sandblasts, barely has room to buy more than the occasional vintage (pre mid 80's) Mastro de Paja. Don't get me started on those, particularly the New Old Stock ones that have shown up on a few Italian dealers websites

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Judging from the pipe rack, I seem to be partial towards the Castellos. I have Radices and Savinellis as well but, I could sell them and not miss them.
The Castellos I would miss.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Old geezer that's a lot of good info as I really feel the need for one of the big Italian names in my rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.