PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittingbear

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2015
Olympia, WA
United is awful. As both a former customer and former unemployment adjudicator, I can tell you their policies are horrendous. I have refused to fly united for years now.

Jan 8, 2013
So, did I read that right, that these customers were being removed to allow United employees onto the flight? I hope the doctor sues the pants off of both United and the airport.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
This is in all the papers on my side of the Atlantic too. One paper reports that he was allowed to reboard, but had blood on his face. United have well and truly shot themselves in the foot with this one.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What's the real story? All I saw is a fellow dragged off the plane. Could have been an arrest warrant. He could have been threatening. Could have been anything that might have justified removal.

I just read that the doctor, after being beaten and dragged off the plane will face felony charges. Felony charges will bring his career to a quick end, even if he wins. he will be financially devastated. So, we hear so much about how these "victims" should have just done what they were told. Was he an entitled putz who got what he deserved, or do police officers sometimes act like dicks?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
For one thing, I do not fly. I flew in 1996 on business to Atlanta to resolve a technical dilemma with the '96 Olympics. It was actually a pleasant experience. But I do not consent to give up my rights now to unreasonable search and seizure. I do not consent to having my little children patted down and strip searched as if we are all criminal suspects. I do not consent to being arrested and detained because I brought a pair of nail-clippers in my case. I do not consent to taking my shoes off and looked between my toes. The airline provides a service which I pay for and their "cure" is worse than the disease! The whole TSA situation is just ridiculous and putting the gov. in charge of air travel was just a very stupid mistake.
But I'm a stubborn, thick-headed SOB and I don't think I could have just sat there as that doctor was assaulted and dragged away just for sitting in his seat. I probably would have tackled the three guards and knocked all of them on their asses then incited half the guys there to get up and back me up.
Let them arrest the whole plane-full of passengers for rioting, walking off and getting refunds--- then they will have a real PR problem! But at some point, folks just have to learn to start standing up against such behavior.

Jan 8, 2013
I just read that the doctor, after being beaten and dragged off the plane will face felony charges. Felony charges will bring his career to a quick end, even if he wins. he will be financially devastated. So, we hear so much about how these "victims" should have just done what they were told. Was he an entitled putz who got what he deserved, or do police officers sometimes act like dicks?
They asked people to volunteer to give up their seats. Nobody volunteered. So they chose people at random to leave. The doctor apparently was on that flight to care for patients elsewhere, which is why he refused to leave. As for being dragged off... yeah he was literally dragged off, after the video shows his face hitting a chairs arm on the other side of the aisle, and it looks like he's unconscious at that point (not entirely sure). As for police sometimes acting like dicks? I support the police, and think the media has overstepped their bounds in painting police officers to be worse than criminals, but they are human and can make mistakes.
But none of us were there to see for ourselves. But it appears the majority of the passengers were upset over his treatment, whereas in other videos with unruly passengers, you often see fellow passengers clapping when the passenger is removed. I think this guy got the short end of the stick.

Mar 1, 2014
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
First your guitar, now they break your face.

I think it's time for this company to be put down.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I rarely fly anymore because I can't stand the TSA's ineptitude. But this wasn't TSA, this was the airlines that initiated this. I've given up my flight on three different occasions. Two times because the place was overbooked and families were in the pinch and once when it was overbooked and they just needed my seat. All three times I was rewarded generously and sat out the delay in the bar, so it wasn't a big deal. But I fly Southwest and they are the Greyhound of the sky.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'd say that "doctor" was a dick. the three others left the plane when asked, he should have complied too. Instead he made a spectacle of himself, and caused the flight to be delayed for 3 hours. I'd be pissed if I were on that flight. That DICK caused his own mess, there are rules to follow, and United followed the rules, the good "doctor" did not............. :puffy:

Man Refuses to Leave Plane
EDIT: And why did he scream like a little bitch? Geeeesh.......... :roll:

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
United must have known the flight was overbooked before they let passengers board. Seems like it would be much better to keep passengers from getting on rather than beating and dragging them off.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Jp, he was a doctor with a legitimate ticket for the seat he was in, nothing more or less. He was randomly chosen because the chuckleheads at United overbooked as they are want to do. He did nothing wrong other than refuse to give up his seat. They have no policy for removing someone from a legally purchased seat. They made this shit up as they went along. I expect the attorneys are in line to help him and for once I agree that a lawsuit might have merit. United acted like a bunch of thugs. If their first enticement of $800 did not work then they should have upped the ante until they had takers. This was crap on their part.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Beefeater, why is he a dick? He has a life too and a practice to get back too as he explained. How does that make him a dick? What makes his life less important than theirs?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Aquadoc, yes he had a ticket, but he was going to be compensated. He wasn't flying to perform an emergency surgery. The problem we face as a society is that everyone thinks they're special and the truth is that nobody is.
He should have given up his seat, taken the loot, and catch the next flight.

Status
Not open for further replies.