Are You a Pipe Smoker or a Pipe Collector?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 29, 2016
I' m a pipe smoker and I use my so called pipe collection to smoke. My favorite pipes see more action than the rest, I would say 15 out of the 35 or so, mostly for Virginia, Va/Per and Latakia mixtures.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here it is. It arrived a wreck with the wrong stem. It's been cleaned and restored as well as I could with minimal intrusion, as it will be a smoker and I can always do more later. The front left is thin and that's where a previous owner apparently beat the pipe to remove tobacco.

It's hallmarked 1920. I believe it's the 'Magnus':

M2NgakB.png
That's a good a guess as any. All you need is the stem.

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
This is my second response to this thread, but I thought I would add my singular definition of beauty. If acquiring beautiful objects qualifies as "collecting", then I am certainly a collector.
Beauty, to my jaundiced eye, lies in the utility of an object, not necessarily in visual pleasantness. By this definition, a well smoked pipe to me is beautiful, in the same way that a pickup truck appeals to me much more than a sports car.
Many people have taken me to task over this definition, but I still adhere to it.
I’m with you ?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have no idea what to call myself. I'd hazard a guess at a pipe smoker who also collects pipes. However it's not my intent to keep acquiring pipes like I have been this past two years. I'm still trying to whittle my collection down to only a few. However you have to keep buying pipes to find out which ones you like the best. I'm getting close. I have a box of 6 pipes ready to send off in trade. I'm just too lazy to do it. I could live with only one. But honestly I'll probably whittle down to 7, and keep it that way.

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
@georged can make you a very close match, if you're interested. He's done that for me. The guy's a wizard.

Yes. Several of us were discussing stems with him the other day on a Zoom call, and he said he has a big back-log. But that's normal.

I have to send him a 1903 French Brevet Peterson stummel, so maybe this one will go at the same time.

Papamique

Mar 11, 2020
What a great thought inspiring article from Greg! I love the way he writes.

“Are you a pipe smoker or pipe collector “? I really enjoy both.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I just sold off a bunch of pipes on eBay that I wasn’t smoking much so I think I’m more in the smoker camp. On the other hand I have a handfull of pipes I don’t smoke anymore that I keeep for lsentimental reasons can’t bring my self the bin then.So a little of both.

xmacro

Lurker
Jun 11, 2012
I only buy what I intend to smoke, and I only smoke what strikes my fancy, a pipe that really catches my eye. Not opposed to having 50 pipes, but I have about 4, 2 of which I smoke daily because they're my favorites. Not sure what that makes me

Michigan_Bill

Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
Definitely a smoker, not a collector. I do feel the pull to acquire more pipes, but on the other hand I feel satisfied with the ones that I have already. At least until PAD strikes… ?