PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2014
TOBACCO. Without a doubt. Good tobacco tastes good in an aged briar and a $5 clay. And it's far more affordable for me to get new tobaccos than new pipes.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Definitely tobacco. Like archy said, I can enjoy my finest English in a $5 cob just fine. Wouldn't enjoy cherry OTC in the fanciest pipe. That is, I could get by with one pipe and ten tins of tobacco, but ten pipes and one tin would make no sense. Hell, I can MAKE a pipe! Cain't make me no Nightcap.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Easy choice for me ... tobacco.
The term "smoker" does not really even apply to me as much as "taster" does.
I love tasting good tobacco like I love a good coffee, wine or chocolate.
Do I need a $500 coffee mug, a $1500 set of wine glasses or real gold foil wrapping on my chocolates ... nope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The great thing about tobacco is you can take a plain Virginia, a plain burley, and maybe a pinch of

Cavendish (flavored or not) and vary the proportions and make at least several different blends, or

tweak any of your favorite blends, tuning them up or down with plain or flavoring tobaccos. Some of

my best smokes are improvised mixes. I put a burley forward plug with a Va/Per flake and had several

tasty bowls. If you have several different size pipes, and maybe a filtered pipe or two, you can get

other variations.

jp12

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2012
I consider myself as both. I find the various makes and types of pipes fascinating combined with how they can affect the flavor of the same tobacco. I also enjoy the various blends and styles of making tobaccos and how much the same leaf can be affected by various processing. With that being said I'm sure my wife would be happier if I could just focus on one of them. :)

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
or tweak any of your favorite blends, tuning them up or down with plain or flavoring tobaccos
mso, if I could do that, my reviews wouldn't all sound like:
Tastes tobacco-ey. This good. That bad.
:)

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Tobacco, for sure. At first I'd've said "pipes", but for some reason a few months back I realized that my massive "collection" of six pipes was doing the job for me. Of course I'd love a few more - mostly for different bowl sizes (I don't have a pot or other really wide bowl, which I'd really like) - but my smoking budget is quite limited these days and there are a TON of blends I want to buy and cellar, so that's where it's going.

geo3rge

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2013
Fifty/fifty at present. Having bought several pipes in the last year, I've also been buying new tobaccos in order to widen my experience. PADTAD are currently neck and neck in the pipe smoking race for me. I would say, however, that I think I should focus a little more on stocking up with the tobacco, so recently I've been buying individual blends in larger quantities.

When the PAD hits again, I've no doubt I'll cave in as before.

Geo3rge

greatbrittn

Might Stick Around
May 21, 2014
Upstate, South Carolina
I'm more in the middle because I enjoy the merits of both, but if I had to choose, I guess I'd lean more toward pipes even though I only have about 20. I really enjoy restoring an old pipe to its former glory and learning its history, it makes filling it with a great tobacco and smoking it that much more enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.