Are You A (Bourbon/Scotch) Sipper Or A Gulper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Watching many US series and films lately and I've noticed that in these instances that 99% of folks order a short/shot and just gulp it down in one go. Now I appreciate I'm watching 'make believe' but do you guys really just gulp down your whiskey/whisky in such a manner?

Seems to me to be such a waste. I like to savour my pour and enjoy the hell out of it rather than just gulp it down. Besides, some pours are pretty high proof and I'm sure if I attempted a 'down in one' I'd likely gag.

My pours are considerably larger than a typical shot I should add.

So guys, how do you enjoy your preferred amber nectar?

Regards,

Jay.?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm definitely both a slow and small sip kinda person. I even do a type of retrohale on many of my neat drinks. There's far more flavor (and enjoyment) than people that take shots will ever realize. Plus, given how much some bottle can cost it's rather a waste to not take your time with them.

That being said, some stuff just isn't capable of being sipped.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I think that most cases where whiskey/bourbon features on screen the purpose of the shot is to show that the character is in need of a 'stiff drink' to show his/her frustration, etc. In other words, they mostly drink for the alcoholic effect not the taste. It's not a sit down, relax and enjoy a tasty drink kinda scenario.

I'm definitely a sipper, but have done my fair share of shots of lower grade spirits, including the 'kamikaze' tequila shot for a bit of fun (snort the salt, squirt lemon in your eye, shoot the drink).

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Watching many US series and films lately and I've noticed that in these instances that 99% of folks order a short/shot and just gulp it down in one go. Now I appreciate I'm watching 'make believe' but do you guys really just gulp down your whiskey/whisky in such a manner?

Seems to me to be such a waste. I like to savour my pour and enjoy the hell out of it rather than just gulp it down. Besides, some pours are pretty high proof and I'm sure if I attempted a 'down in one' I'd likely gag.

My pours are considerably larger than a typical shot I should add.

So guys, how do you enjoy your preferred amber nectar?

Regards,

Jay.?
yes we do if it's cheap stuff. Sipp if good. Seriously the shot is for no name well whiskey that you're only drinking because alcohol is a drug.
Personally I sipp and don't want it if it's not sip quality. And sure I'll throw back a shot as part of ritual to celebrate something.

Status
Not open for further replies.