PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Cleanliness really is a solid answer - these codgers know what they're talking about, so there's not much else to suggest.

The advice given by @perdurabo of investing $10 in a cheap corn-cob pipe (or three) would be a great idea for baccy you're worried about.

Though - I've personally never had a pipe get 'ghosted' with Balkan's or English tobacco. Only lingering stinks came from aromatics (which I very rarely smoke) even that goes away after 2-3 bowls of whatever else I'm smoking. Yeah I can taste Latakia or Perique heavy stuff maybe a bowl or so after that particular smoke - but with enough airing time and a clean between I doubt I would.

I tend to rotate pipes by frequency of use rather than by tobacco and it's rare that I use any pipe more than once per day. There are usually a few days at least of rest between smokes. I run a spirit-soaked cleaner through after every smoke. I know there are people who really like one particular blend and just dedicate a pipe to it - you might evolve that way, but you might not.

I did smoke a beater pipe at work which got pretty fusty. I consistently switched between smoking Revor Plug, Nightcap and Chocolate Flake on repeat (two to three every day). I didn't clean it (other than running a pipe cleaner and a tissue through it). This did indeed result in a funky pipe when coming back to it the following week.

However, one good clean with a salt-alcohol soak worked a treat and it's back to normal. I'll try the coffee grounds next time.

Reactions: danimalia
Aug 1, 2012
The pipe will tell you what tobacco it prefers. It may ghost for a few smokes but in my experience a half-dozen smokes of Carter Hall will exorcise most of those stubborn specters. I wouldn't be afraid to smoke a tobacco in a pipe as a test as the ghosts aren't always as strong as you fear.

Heck, I've even smoked Condor plug (the old one) in one of my VA pipes. 3 bowls of CH later and I was ready to go back to VaPer and a few bowls later I could do straight VA in it again.

True worst-case scenario you always have the ozone treatment as a nuclear option...no ghost survives it...
?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
OK some reassuring advice there from everyone, thanks... But what about the brown twist? No problems there at all... just asking for your own experiences and opinions btw.
I bought it last week and still haven't tried it yet... don't think I've got a bowl small enough for it as I've heard (more internet advice) that it can be quite strong and to only pack a small amount... I do have another three pipes on the way to add to my current collection of seven...

To sum up: Concerned about ghosting from the Kendal twist pigtail and fretting over packing too much.

Cheers everyone!

Brown twist, at least the plain non-flavored version, should be fine. I catch a very feint hint of Lakeland while smoking it, but it's way in the background. And I've smoked it in several pipes and never noticed an issue. I think it's a great tobacco, though it's pretty damn strong.

I see another member did mention an issue with the Black twist, but that one is stoved and processed a bit differently, so who knows.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't know the science behind it, but I read it on here and never looked back. Fill the bowl /shank with moist coffee ground and let it sit for a couple of days. As the grounds dry out they wick away some of the odours in the pipe. Then just rinse away with warm water.

Yep. It's the least harsh way to remove odors. Only change I'd suggest is use very hot tap water and flush for half a minute. (Will help clean the mortise and airway as well as the chamber.)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Personally, I'd only have concern about Lakelands aromatics ghosting. Everything else, with good pipe maintenance, presents no problem. The more pipes you have, the less carbon/cake you build, the less possibility for even a little flavor carryover from one bowl to the next. If you are ultra sensitive, actually or by suggestibility, you can make your own adjustments. I see little point in designating pipes, Lakeland aromatics excepted.

• Love
Reactions: Mis Pipas and BROBS

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I've discovered a few friendly ghosts accidentally. Like SWR after a bowl of Brown Flake Scented.. Or Black Frigate after a bowl of Vermont Meat Candy. You never know what you might be missing out on. I get that not everyone wants to play tobacco roulette like I do, so you should probably ignore me. :)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I dedicate all of my pipes to either certain genres or specific blends. I no longer smoke any English blends but if I did I would certainly not smoke them in a pipe dedicated to Virginia's. They would get their own pipes.
Old Dark Fired is a fantastic blend and I have a pipe dedicated to it. I would never want a ghost of a GH or an English blend ruining the flavors.

Getting rid of a ghost for me is a major deal. I will never smoke one out as ruining good tobacco to get rid of one is something I would never do. I use coffee grounds to get rid of a ghosted estate pipe when it happens.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I don't know the science behind it, but I read it on here and never looked back. Fill the bowl /shank with moist coffee ground and let it sit for a couple of days. As the grounds dry out they wick away some of the odours in the pipe. Then just rinse away with warm water.
I see, extracted coffee makes some sense, most of the flavour compound is gone but there is still acidity left in the grinds along with very porous nature of the coffee there is a place for the odour to go. #codgerscience

Thanks I’ll give this a try

Reactions: diamondback

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Personally, I'd only have concern about Lakelands aromatics ghosting. Everything else, with good pipe maintenance, presents no problem. The more pipes you have, the less carbon/cake you build, the less possibility for even a little flavor carryover from one bowl to the next. If you are ultra sensitive, actually or by suggestibility, you can make your own adjustments. I see little point in designating pipes, Lakeland aromatics excepted.
.If you are ultra sensitive,....... GOOD POINT..Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.