PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
I have some pipes that I have not smoked out of yet, I am still undecided as to what types of tobacco I will dedicate them to.
That being said I still want to try them out with the blends of tobacco I currently have.
I have:

*Peterson Nightcap.

*HH Old Dark Fired.

*HH Latakia Flake.

and some
*Kendal Twist (Brown Pigtail)

My question is, will any of the above cause Ghosting problems?

I am quite keen to try the Kendal Twist, although I have been led to believe is creates a ghosting nightmare ha ha

Thanks all.

Reactions: danimalia

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
Ghosting isn't a permanent condition. Most tobaccos will leave hints of taste in a pipe but nothing that can't be smoked out.

Why would you think Old Dark Fired would ghost?

I hear that smoking strong rope/twist tobaccos in a pipe can be quite a permanent condition. I watched a muttnchop piper video where he said exactly that. So I was a bit concerned about smoking my Kendal Twist "devil may care" style, grabbling whatever pipe comes to hand.

Also, with all due respect, I don't think ODF will ghost, idk if it will ghost... hence the post... in the beginner section of the forum... Cheers. The takeaway being ODF doesn't ghost.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
muttnchop piper
Never take him seriously. Some of his practices have led me to believe he's not an actual pipe smoker.
So I was a bit concerned about smoking my Kendal Twist "devil may care" style, grabbling whatever pipe comes to hand.
Smoke what suits you. Any residual flavor left by a blend can be smoked out with a strong English or burley blend.
Also, with all due respect, I don't think ODF will ghost, idk if it will ghost...
Okay, thought maybe someone had told you that it would. It and Bold Kentucky have a strong, natural earthy flavor but it's nothing to worry about. Just load up your pipes and enjoy.?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Of the blends you mention, I haven't noticed any ghosting issues, but I've never really noticed any ghosting issues in general, so YMMV. That said, to my tastes, ODF has some additional flavoring that Bold Kentucky doesn't, so I guess I could see the concern, though again, I smoked ODF in a VA pipe and didn't have any issues. I guess, outside of strongly-scented Lakelands, my advice would be to not worry about ghosting until it becomes an issue for you.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have a number of pipes that dedicated to one thing or another, but that’s out of choice not necessity.

In pipes that I smoke milder blends in that I favor, I usually dedicate those to that one blend. Simply because I always want the same taste without the interference of some other blend.

If however I decide to use a pipe I’ve previously smoked Aros in, I’ve noticed it doesn’t take long to smoke out that flavor using it for something else, especially when the tobacco is of a stronger variety.

Bottom line - ignore the internet “experts” and as others have said, just enjoy... pipes and tobacco isn’t rocket surgery.

But I do get a laugh out of the newly minted “experts” who show up at some of my local B&M’s (few that there) blathering about everything they’ve read on the internet.

Me, I enjoy some of my inexpensive no- name pipes just as much as I enjoy pipes I’ve spent several hundred dollars on. And I’m not going to get all frazzled over which tobacco goes in what pipe. Sometimes I just smoke whatever I please in whatever pipe I want because it pleases me...

Seeker81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 22, 2019
OK some reassuring advice there from everyone, thanks... But what about the brown twist? No problems there at all... just asking for your own experiences and opinions btw.
I bought it last week and still haven't tried it yet... don't think I've got a bowl small enough for it as I've heard (more internet advice) that it can be quite strong and to only pack a small amount... I do have another three pipes on the way to add to my current collection of seven...

To sum up: Concerned about ghosting from the Kendal twist pigtail and fretting over packing too much.

Cheers everyone!

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
An old pipe smoker told me if I was worried about ghosting, smoke the tobacco in a pipe with a thick cake. Whatever ghosting happens, it absorbs into the cake and not the chamber walls. I have smoked many ghosting tobaccos ( 1792, Ennerdale, Grousemoore) and never had a problem. If I determine I don’t like that tobacco I just team out the cake. Hope that helps

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
I've maintained that 'ghosting' is just something pipe smokers have made up as an excuse to get more pipes. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course!

A thorough clean with alcohol/salt and then coffee grounds will get rid of smells.
Coffee grounds, that's a new one to me. I’ve run two salt/ alcohol and still not had it get fresh. I shall try this!

Any codger science to back this up, or just good experience?

Thank you

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Coffee grounds, that's a new one to me. I’ve run two salt/ alcohol and still not had it get fresh. I shall try this!

Any codger science to back this up, or just good experience?

Thank you

I don't know the science behind it, but I read it on here and never looked back. Fill the bowl /shank with moist coffee ground and let it sit for a couple of days. As the grounds dry out they wick away some of the odours in the pipe. Then just rinse away with warm water.

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Beforehand, I have to say, that I do not smoke any aromatics and Englishes. Among the Virginias, Burleys, and fire cured tobaccos, I had never had a problem with ghosting, except for one blend. The exception is Samuel Gawith Black XX. That one haunted one of my pipes so strong, that it still was recognizable after 10 or so bowls. I even have the impression, that it ghosted my smoking room in a way, that made me taste Black XX while smoking a pipe, which hadn't had any contact with it.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I have some pipes that I have not smoked out of yet, I am still undecided as to what types of tobacco I will dedicate them to.
That being said I still want to try them out with the blends of tobacco I currently have.
I have:

*Peterson Nightcap.

*HH Old Dark Fired.

*HH Latakia Flake.

and some
*Kendal Twist (Brown Pigtail)

My question is, will any of the above cause Ghosting problems?

I am quite keen to try the Kendal Twist, although I have been led to believe is creates a ghosting nightmare ha ha

Thanks all.
Get a cob and solve your problems.

Reactions: Mtlpiper
The only type of tobacco that if smoked repeatedly has ever made it so that the pipe was permanently ghosted... at least permanent until it has all been taken back to bare wood... are aromatics... and I include a handful of Lakelands in that genre.

They tend to leave the cake and wood of the pipe scented.

Latakia will leave a spicy for a few more smokes, but I wouldn't call that a ghost.

Oh, and I would suggest that all advice taken from videos or from here, or even from me... be taken with a grain of salt. You'll learn from experience that there are no hardfast rules, and sometimes different people get different results for the same exact things.

Status
Not open for further replies.