Are There Instances of International Orders Coming Through (Australia)?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Just wondering if anybody is aware of international pipe tobacco orders still making it through to Australia, after the laws were changed last year making it illegal to import pipe tobacco via mail? For anybody who's tried and failed, did you get a slap on the wrist from customs?

Note to mods: I'm not trying to condone/advocate for illegal behavior, just trying to get a sense of where things are at and understand peoples experiences :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I stopped ordering when that rule came in due to not wanting to be harassed by customs and also the vendors in the US mandated that shipping was via a customs clearing agent with tracking ($$) which meant paying postage, paying duty, paying GST and other add-ons.

I do hold a tobacco import licence (issued free by the government) but I only use it once a year for those expensive limited edition $40 for 50g tins (a once a year treat for me).

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland
I don't know it will be relevant, as Australia has a stricter customs than Ireland, but Ireland has also prohibited tobacco import.

But I can still make small orders. One time revenue seized my order. That was seven 2oz tins.
But orders of about 3 tins / <100$ have no trouble. Or if you get the company to break the order into smaller batches for you.

The time revenue caught mine it was just a letter, nothing else. It was worded that if I put in a challenge to the seize and failed, i may need a court appearance. I think that is just so they get to keep and smoke your beautiful order.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
I wonder if they would have more success when ordering from somewhere like Germany, as presumably they label the parcels in German...

Reactions: briarbuck

Ryszard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2019
Europe
I wonder if they would have more success when ordering from somewhere like Germany, as presumably they label the parcels in German...

The customs declarations are most likely filled out in either English, Spanish or French. This is usually a requirement for postal acceptance of international parcels. So chances are high they would fill it out in English... even if they do not, that is probably the most likely way to get the parcel opened up by customs in the receiving country because they would want to make sure what is inside.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cuban cigars are illegal to purchase in the USA but hundreds if not thousands of boxes enter the country each day. Most of the retailers that ship them will only send 2 boxes at a time. If they are caught, which few are, US Customs sends out a warning letter. It seems that if you aren't trying to import huge amounts for the purpose of reselling, US Customs isn't interested in pursuing charges. I assume they have much bigger fish to fry. I am only speculating that Australian Customs operates in a similar manner.

Reactions: marconi and JOHN72

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
The customs declarations are most likely filled out in either English, Spanish or French. This is usually a requirement for postal acceptance of international parcels. So chances are high they would fill it out in English... even if they do not, that is probably the most likely way to get the parcel opened up by customs in the receiving country because they would want to make sure what is inside.
Yeah that's a fair point.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Australian Customs wants to fry large and small! That is the frustrating part about the whole process, the cost of the paperwork they send out to collect tax on one or two tins (yes had this experience) is more than what they get back.

If they focused these resources on stopping the hundreds of tons of illegal drugs (truly illegal such cocaine, heroin etc) coming into this country we would all be better off. The fact that the price of those drugs does not go down indicates that the supply chain is not being impacted........total madness.

Reactions: OzPiper

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
416: Don't omit the assistance such rules/laws give to local shops. Have you called around to any stores in Austrailia? They might have what you want or even, should you want a few tins, order them in for you. Or, they might order a few tins simply to see what they will do across the counter for their bottom line.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Thanks Warren, yes I would like to do that but even in Sydney there are very limited stores that carry pipe tobacco or cigars.
There are lots of small stores in malls that sell cigarettes (basically chain stores not individual mom and pop stores and the staff are usually working holiday visa people who just scan cigarette packs and have no tobacco knowledge at all) so they are not interested in ordering in pipe tobacco really. Some carry one pipe tobacco brand here which is Dr Pat but it is very ordinary, (basically an OTC) and is about A$115 per 50g tin (US$80).

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
The few times I have been to the US I love finding your B&M stores and being jealous at how lucky you are there. Between the tobacco stores and the gun stores there I can build a whole vacation around them!

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
I don't understand why pipe tobacco gets put in the same category as cigarettes in Australia. They were happy enough to make a distinction between cigars and cigarettes and let people keep importing those... Well in any case they've got it all backwards with the level of tax, way out of proportion. But what can we do eh? Writing to your local MP will only get you an automated response from some admin clerk.

It seems clear to me, with the way things have been heading, that they would rather people smoked marijuana instead???? Which would be catastrophic for society. We're governed by some very foolish people who get away with treating everyone like children - because they themselves are very childish.

Reactions: OzPiper

MicahClarke

Lurker
Jun 6, 2020
Why do Australians, the children as it were, keep electing them? Blame the voters not the politicians.
I do my fair share of that, trust me. However, we pipe smokers are a small voice and MP's will not (in my experience) advocate for us. I think that's unfair, since if they take anything we say into account they should be taking a more balanced and proportionate approach to tobacco. So politicians are also to blame. I wish it were as simple as getting a pro-tobacco politician elected, but indeed it would be a help if people in general were more educated. I gotta be honest though, most career politicians are disposable so hard to see much difference if personnel were to change.

Last edited:

Apipeinthewoods

Might Stick Around
Jan 24, 2020
Dublin, Ireland

Thought I was seeing things there. Didnt remember writing something as sensible ?[/QUOTE]

I stopped ordering when that rule came in due to not wanting to be harassed by customs and also the vendors in the US mandated that shipping was via a customs clearing agent with tracking ($$) which meant paying postage, paying duty, paying GST and other add-ons.

I do hold a tobacco import licence (issued free by the government) but I only use it once a year for those expensive limited edition $40 for 50g tins (a once a year treat for me).
Hi anthony416, I’ve looked at the personal import license thing. But if I understand it properly, duty is, say, $78 per 50g tin, plus whatever the US vendor is charging, plus postage. So does it still work out any cheaper than buying from an Aussie vendor at $125 per 50gm?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hi anthony416, I’ve looked at the personal import license thing. But if I understand it properly, duty is, say, $78 per 50g tin, plus whatever the US vendor is charging, plus postage. So does it still work out any cheaper than buying from an Aussie vendor at $125 per 50gm?
(If like NZ)...then add 15% GST on top of the total costs above, and a flat rate import levy of around $50.

I should add that cupojoes.com says it can still send plugs and ropes to Australia in its shipping policy. Might be something to look into.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Hi Pastor Richard,

1) As Ahi Ka says, there is GST on top also (in our case 10%).

2) Generally, even after all the charges associated with importing, there is still a small saving in most cases.

3) The advantage of importing is the huge range of tobacco you can choose from, that are not avaialble in Aus.

The best savings I found are in importing the more expensive tobaccos since customs basically charges more on weight than value. So don't buy so much of the cheaper or bulk tobaccos but go for the better stuff :)

4) Smoking pipes will ship to us if you have an import licence, which is free to aquire. (compare SP shipping fees though because they have to go via an agent clearance here in Aus), The licences are valid for 1 year and are re-newable. Apply for personal import and I usually say less than 500g per year as a estimate and all seems fine (I have renewed 3 times so far). In reality I now only use it once a year for maybe only 100 grams.

Status
Not open for further replies.