Are there any Sweet Latakia-Heavy blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Gentlemen, may I ask for your suggestions on Sweet Latakia-Heavy blends

I've always been more of a Dark Fire Cured / VaPer fan but after the recent sudden and strange change of my tastes the mighty Call of Latakia struck me in the head. I used to like Latakia before, but as I'm finding out now I like SWEET Latakia the most.

I have a healthy stack of SG Commonwealth and Balkan Flake but they are, well, stout.
Just to clarify what I mean: the sweetest Latakia I know is McClellands Wilderness, then Peterson's Old Dublin, then Nightcap (just a bit of sweetness). What is not sweet for me, is all Latakias from SG, Pete's Balkan Delight and GLP's Odyssey (that's the only GLP I've tried). And I don't mean Latakia-spiced aromatics.
Which Latakia-Heavy and Sweet blends may you suggest?

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Rattray's Red Raparee is sweet, not super heavy latakia, but not lacking either. Also, MM965 and The Aperitif are sweet. Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake is sweet, and so is HH Latakia Flake.
I have not tried it yet, but Rattray's Black Mallory is supposed to be lat heavy and it has Cavendish in it. I want some in my next order.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Mississippi River is sweet and frog Morton cellar can be sweet at times .

Once I took equal amounts of Mississippi river and Esoterica Ramsgate mixed up for a bowl and it was like candy I almost couldn't smoke it it was so sweet

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding, the new issue of Bengal Slices, Greg Pease's Abingdon or Odyssey. I'm a latakia guy with a sweet tooth, yes.

Jan 8, 2013
I second Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant (might I suggest we start calling it BFCG?). I wouldn't necessarily call it Lat heavy, but it's certainly there, and it's a blend I've recently fallen in love with.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
If it's sweet and light lat you're after I agree that BFCG will scratch that itch. An easy smoking very satisfying blend that invites a second bowl.
Ren

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
If you're into Wilderness, I would highly suggest checking out both varieties of 3 Oaks (of course the Syrian version will be difficult to find now), and also Legends. I find these to be in same ballpark in regards to "sweetness". I think these need a week or so after opening the tin to really show their stuff, though. Legends is a favorite.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Try Sunjammer from H&H.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2551/hearth-home-sunjammer

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
The Frog Morton series is sweet - cloyingly so to the seasoned latakia veteran.
One not mentioned here is Savinelli's Giubileo D'oro. It's excellent, really well balanced and a nice amount of both latakia and sweetness.
Peretti's "Tashkent" is not super sweet, but if you like Commonwealth, it's in that neighborhood, very full flavor but not punchy.
Esoterica's "Pembroke" smokes pretty sweet but it's got a strong Cognac topping, not for all, though I'm a pig for it.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
McClelland Scottish Woods may scratch your itch. I wouldn't call it lat heavy, but it has plenty of flavor and a nice sweetness.

Status
Not open for further replies.