Are there any cigars that come close to the taste of pipe tobacco?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
steelman, I agree they are not like pipe tobacco, but for someone looking for a cigar that has a distinct sweet flavor like pipe tobacco, the Padron I think fits the bill. There really is no quality hand made cigar that has anything to do with pipe tobacco when you think of it. Acids in my opinion are an affront to the industry, and they are abominations. Anyone who smokes them is a blasphemer. :nana:

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The gatlinburlier is really cool. A little high on price because it is a tourist trap but never the less a cool shop.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
cigrmaster...you are right....why fight it. A cigar is a cigar and a pipe a pipe. The 2 worlds shouldn't collide.....
I just ordered a box of Torpedo Anni maduros.
Don't know about you...but I prefer the regular Anni series to the 1926 series.....
I still am curious about those Durango sticks, though...gonna give one a try.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Reminds me that years ago, there were "Half and Half" filter tipped cigars. Basically like a cigarette. Knew a lady who smoked them exclusively. Got me curious if those are still made. A quick search makes me think they are a thing of the past. They were good, for what they were.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
@ Danno
half0102png.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
steelman, I think the 1926 are nice but a complete rip off. I had a buddy who loved them and he would gift me one now and again and I would ask him, why do you pay the premium when the Anny is just as good if not better, his answer was, " if they are more money, they have to be better". What a marrooon. lol
I remember the first Anny I ever smoked, it was a Pyramid and it still remains my favorite of the line.

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
Since we are on the subject, I could swear that Captain Black used to make a cigarrillo type smoke that looked like a pack of cigarettes but was made with CBW. Does anyone else remember those? or is it just me? I have looked erverywhere but I have not found them. Maybe it was all my imagination.... :roll:

ruggierm1

Lurker
Aug 9, 2012
I have yet to smoke a cigar (and I've had plenty of different premium/boutique brands)that tastes like a pipe. Two completely different smoking experiences.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I think pipe and cigar tobaccos come from different parts of the cow! :!:
To experiment with your idea, I went and got some rolling papers, the thinnest I could find. I rolled an aro and some Dunhill Flake. Rolling the aro was a challenge because I have never rolled loose tobacco. The flake was easier because it was solid. The flake I tore into thin long strips, and rolled five of them into the paper, thinking it would have similar channels to long leaf cigar tobacco. The Dunhill strips conveniently the exact length of the paper.
The room note on both was to me the same as in a pipe. The first few puffs didn't taste significantly different than in a pipe. It reacted to heat similar to how it does in a pipe in that you could sip it for a cool taste, or puff at it hot and get bit.
The flake smoked surprisingly well in paper it stayed lit and provided a lot of smoke.
About one third in, you get an occasional tang form the liquid which develops when smoking pipe tobacco. Unlike a pipe, it has no buffer as it does in a pipe. I smoked about half of each. I wouldn't recommend further than than. As you can't smoke it to only ash, as with a pipe, it is more wasteful than a pipe.
Would I do it again? Sure. It may be an option for when I am playing music and have short breaks where I do not have time to deal with a pipe properly.
It was definitely an interesting exercise. There is no question that a pipe remains king.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Continuing the experiment, I just rolled FMOTT and put it in a small "Hava-Tampa" style bamboo tip from a mini cigar I was given. Is was very pleasurable! About a 10 minute smoke. No cleanup!!
Disclaimer: I tried this because I am, by nature, a "What If" kinda guy. I posted my results for in case people were curious. I am not recommending anyone else try it. Nor am I recommending anyone change anything about about how they enjoy pipes and pipes tobacco.
Please note: No pipes were hurt in the process of gathering this information!!!

kalc

Might Stick Around
Sep 7, 2012
I smoke Habanos - cant think of any that tasted like pipe tobby - pretty different. At the most, maybe be an occasional whiff of a cigar like aroma/flavour while smoking a pipe tobby with cigar leaf - could be my mind playing tricks though :)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Alec Bradley - Black Market
To me this cigar was similar to a meaty english blend. Rich and delicious.
But the physical smoke of a cigar is a different experience. Smoke density aside, the flavor was 100% English.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Have you tried Captain Black Little cigars? A website uses this description: Captain Black Little Cigars
Captain Black Little Cigars are famous because they use Captain Black pipe tobacco as primary filler. This is a mild cigar that comes in a blend of Indonesian, Philippine and United States Tobaccos. These cigars come in different flavors like the Caribbean Sweets, Filters, Madagascar Vanilla, Caribbean Peach Rum, and Sweet Cherry.
• Wrapper: Natural Colorado Claro

• Manufacturer: Conwood Company LLC

• Machine Made in: Tucker, Georgia

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I have not tried them; however, I got in touch with Durango cigars. They have launched a new line of premium cigars that use a combination of pipe tobaccos...from aromatics to an English blend cigar with latakia! Their website is not yet fully completed but if you google "Durango Cigars" you will see the 6 blends they are launching. Very interesting.
I expect them next week and will report back...
Ron

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
The Durangos look interesting. Are they selling them yet? I din' see that capability.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
If you email them they will respond and give you a number to call. They will have the capability to buy directly off the website soon.
As of now, they have 3 of the 6 blends available...the Cherry Cav; mocha and porterhouse (English blend)
I have samples of each coming.
Ron

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I've been seeing this subject on the board for several days and have avoided clicking it. But you wore

me down. I love my pipe, smoke one everyday all day except in certain circumstances. On the golf course

and any other place where my hands will be to busy I smoke a cigar. (Not to many times). My pipe is a pipe

and a cigar is a cigar. I apologize if this has been said already.... Just had to put my two cents in.

Status
Not open for further replies.