PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Remember back in the day when we just had the three networks? ABC,CBS,NBC and the rabbit ears? My dad mandated my role as "channel changer" also known as a remote. I also remember when cable was being talked about, it's promise was no commercials. Yeah, we know how that turned out.
An old Maine humorist known as The Humble Farmer once quipped something about: "Who needs a remote control? When I get too lazy to tell the old lady to get up and change the channel I might as well die."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mawnansmiff

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I remember one of the early CGI-using movies, The Last Starfighter, back when the digital artifacts were still very evident on the silver screen (and later, just as obvious on your analog TV screen as well).

One of the larger defects of the networks that resulted in my not watching TV any more is the entire, mean-spirited, so-called "Reality TV" thing. If I want to see people being deliberately screwed around with, I'll watch a gangster or war movie. I don't need to see real people being tortured in the name of TV ratings and screwing over the screenwriters. I only ever watched one episode of one reality TV show, Mad, Mad House, out of sheer curiosity. Didn't like it either.

The local movie theater here has a "Free movie on your birthday" thing going on. Over the past 19 years, when my birthday rolled around they only had something I wanted to see -- even for free -- four of those years.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I simply cant stand network tv and the 8 million commercials in between a show...or is that 8 minutes of show between commercials...I cant tell. Pause rewind and captions are great. Especially with new stuff where they feel compelled to put audio with huge amounts of ambient noise. Maybe its proof that people really dont have anything to say when they put that much noise in a show.
I estimate that less than 30% of what I watch is Network TV, and the bulk of that is sports and news. Thank heavens for DVRs. Almost all of which is recorded, and I start watching after allowing enough time to be able to fast forward through all the commercials and talking heads.

When we got rid of cable and just used wifi for our Roku TV, I was surprised at how many free channels we got just plugging into wifi. Literally over a thousand channels come through wifi. We subscribe to Netflix, Prime, and HBOMax, and we get Paramount and Disney for free somehow.

At first it feels unusual not to just turn the TV on and scan for something meaningless to watch. But, having subscription services makes you focus in more on just what we want to watch. Plus, it is really nice not to have a network news. This forces me to read the newspaper a little more closely.

I don't think I would want cable at all anymore, not even if they gave it out for free. The days of watching meaningless tv is over for me.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
allowing enough time to be able to fast forward through all the commercials and talking heads.
I have a deep loathing for TV adverts so I also record programmes from commercial channels.

I fully appreciate why averts exist, I just can't bear to waste 15-20 minutes per hour of my life in watching them.

PBS America is a great channel for documentaries but is riddled with ads begging me to donate money to one cause or another, often showing disturbing images of starving donkeys or malformed children. If I didn't have a PVR then I wouldn't bother with the channel.

Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I was never big on Netflix and the like.

Most recently I've started using Sling.
It's the cheapest way to get TCM that I've found ($40/mo.)
TCM is the channel I watch 95% of the time.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I just don't watch T.V as its all so depressing. With so many remakes of older movies that have become now vehicles for inclusion propaganda I just don't bother. I might watch Operation Mince Meat which is a remake of the 1950s movie The Man Who Never Was but that is more out of curiosity.
I'm a bit the same, I don't care for the TV stuff. I only own ONE TV and subscribe to a particular set-up that gets me access to every NFL game and every NHL game. I couldn't care less about anything else (movies and the other crap) I also mute the commercials when they come on when I'm watching hockey or football. BUT! as of late I'm starting to lose interest in the NFL and it's infiltration of politics, Hollywood trash and other narrative agendas. Hockey has me on the edge too as it's been "pussified" - much the same as the NFL. And I won't even mention the horrid referee issues for both sports.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd suggest English football as the least affected by such crap. Hard to get into at first, but well worth it. You can't be a pussy for long and stay on a team in the Premier League.

• Haha
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Worth mentioning Netflix is proceeding with their 300 acre production campus in my state. It keeps slowly clearing various planning hurdles.

I’m not a fan of it but unless Netflix runs out of money and can’t build it, definitely not going to be blocked by any government agency.

OdinCisneros

Lurker
Mar 9, 2024
Hey there, Jay! The film quality is a gamble, and those fees are not cool. Wondering where this is all heading. I'm a Netflix fan, though. Despite the ups and downs, it's still my go-to.
Speaking of Netflix, I just found out this company signed a deal with Prince Harry; he and Meghan will produce content and make good money. If you're interested, read about prince harry net worth here. Take care!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Speaking of Netflix, I just found out this company signed a deal with Prince Harry; he and Meghan will produce content and make good money. << Snipped bits out >>
If I never hear another word about those people I will feel blessed.

So, Odin, please introduce yourself in New Members Intro.- what do you like to smoke? What pipes do you like?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yes, I want to hear more about the problems of absurdly rich people.
Especially if they are overly entitled assholes.
Then you're perfectly aligned with an epicenter of cultural passion, schadenfreude, baby!! People LOVE voyeuristically spying on the downfalls and troubles of the rich, famous, and powerful. They get compensation for for their aggrieved view of their lives, their pimply kids or foul smelling spouses, overbearing bosses, and daily struggle. And this crap makes BANK!
Which is why there's so much of it all over media. It's cheap to produce and there's an insatiable demand for it. Welcome to the fold!

• Haha
Reactions: jpmcwjr and Zero