Are Certain Style Of Pipes Easier To Smoke To The Bottom?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I tried building a micro turbocharger for one of my pipes I couldn’t get to smoke to the bottom using part of the airway as power to instead of scavenged exhaust gases. It worked and smoked to the bottom of the bowl but the tongue bite was horrific and the pipe glowed red hot. I had to throw it in the river.

View attachment 20808
Which bridge? I wanna try to find it.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Which bridge? I wanna try to find it.

Chicago River between Madison and Monroe. Wear a wetsuit. In addition to the raw sewage, your likely to bump into a careless mob informant or two floating around down there. Don't unchain them, just note their location and call the police. They will pull them up after the boat tours have stopped. We don't want Chicago to get a bad reputation for violence with visitors.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Chicago River between Madison and Monroe. Wear a wetsuit. In addition to the raw sewage, your likely to bump into a careless mob informant or two floating around down there. Don't unchain them, just note their location and call the police. They will pull them up after the boat tours have stopped. We don't want Chicago to get a bad reputation for violence with visitors.
Isn't that the part where they dye the water green on St. Paddy's Day? ?

Smoked69

Lurker
Mar 9, 2020
A pipe style is an extension of you. Buy a pipe that feels good and looks good to you and the pipe will teach you how to get the best smoke it can deliver along with a good tobacco. I have everything from Dunhil's to cobs in my rotation and enjoy them equally.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I wouldn't worry about missing the last little bit. But - conical and tapered chambers seem to burn to the bottom well for me.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Isn't that the part where they dye the water green on St. Paddy's Day? ?

Yes. Used to be. But have ya ever been to the Chicago River? They really should rename it since river denote water and what ever is flowing through there has very little resemblance to water. I think Moses came back, stretched out his hand and said "Let there be Blood...no, no, no, no, we've done that one.....Let there be Sludge!"

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
I'm with those who don't care too mutch: if I get to the bottom fine, otherwise I'll stop when the taste tells me to do so.
And I think it's true that the right packing-humidity-slowsmoking is more respnsable than the bowl shape.
Everyone finds his own paradigma.

RedZeppelin

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2020
Dublins and conical bowls are my favorite pipes, but it's very rare that I smoke it down to the last grains of tobacco. It happens, but it's not a big deal. We have this whole word for that last little wad of tobacco that is left over, "dottle," and if it were just something that occurred when something goes wrong, we wouldn't have bothered giving it a word of it's own. Dottle happens. Embrace the dottle.
Sucking flame down to that last little bit, or puffing harder to smoke the dottle is most likely going to lead to burning up some of the delicate wood around the draft. There are no rewards for smoking it all down to ash.
In my extremely limited experience, it also tastes really bad trying to do this.

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Life is to short to smoke bad tasting tobacco. If it tastes bad or just won't stay lit i dump it and pack another pipe. I have smoked all the way down but that isn't my goal unless im breaking in a new pipe. You can dry tobacco more and pack lighter and relight a bunch at the end if you want to though. Ill take a pipe that tastes good to me for 7/8 of a bowl over 100% and last 15 minutes I'm fighting it.

Reactions: mingc and jpmcwjr

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm fairly new to pipes and this is often true for me as well. I'm curious how long you've been a piper?
About 4 years. I find that it saves my mouth from getting as beat up. Less steam? To each his own.
Keep in mind that I live in Ohio where the humidity is often over 90%. Its almost impossible to not get a puddle some days.

Black Forest Piper

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Colorado, USA
About 4 years. I find that it saves my mouth from getting as beat up. Less steam? To each his own.
Keep in mind that I live in Ohio where the humidity is often over 90%. Its almost impossible to not get a puddle some days.
It's good to know that there are other people who would rather have a good experience even if that means sacrificing some of the baccy that may still be good...but probably isn't. For me it's not too wet, it's the taste and number of relights. When I've forced through to the bottom it makes it easier to go a few weeks between smokes because that last memory isn't good.