PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yikes, time just does keep ticking away. I also can't imagine 49 years from now Lil NasX or Justin Bieber music being played. I never saw the original Pink Floyd (well, that iteration anyway). I did see Gilmours Pink Floyd and Roger Waters several times. At one Waters show, he did the entire Dark Side album, with Mason on drums.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
I've was fortunate enough to see Pink Floyd 4 times in the Roger Water years. Every performance was a great one.

Also seen the Stones three times, another fantastic band to watch live; and the Grateful Dead but only once :(

Plus... ...Hawkwind, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Motorhead, Yes, Genesis, Jefferson Starship, Rainbow, Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, Queen, Uriah Heep, George Harrison, Paul McCartney and a whole host more great bands of that era - I'm getting old!

But, I think my favourite concert performance was Leonard Cohen's last tour.

As I go through the Billboard now, I don't recognize anything on this list. https://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/
Used to, people listened to the radio to hear what had been deemed to have potential by the record companies, and out of those, some would make the charts. Now, no one is listening to the radio, so how are these people making the charts? Sales? How would someone know who is even viable as a contender enough top buy them?

Now that radio is dead, I am not even sure what is going on in Pop music today. I just enjoy more and more local bands and regional bands that I get in my feed because of who else I already listen to.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Great point, the album as we know it has been dead. (although the new Bonnie Raitt is excellent!) Bands used to tour to support album sales. Now, touring is the money maker.
And I think I saw ABBA maybe going to make gazillions for some sort of virtual concert. ?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yikes, time just does keep ticking away. I also can't imagine 49 years from now Lil NasX or Justin Bieber music being played. I never saw the original Pink Floyd (well, that iteration anyway). I did see Gilmours Pink Floyd and Roger Waters several times. At one Waters show, he did the entire Dark Side album, with Mason on drums.
I saw Roger Waters do Dark Side of the Moon with a buddy several years ago - very cool.

Reactions: timelord