PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Hello folks, I hope everyone is having a great day! Back in the beginning of July I posted pics of what I thought was an apple. How wrong I was! But thanks to comments on that 'potato' and some more reading, I did on the Pipe Smokers Forum I re-did the whole thing and this is the result. I haven't waxed it yet, all I have done so far is put the stem and the bare spot for my stamp on the bottom, through the Tripoli compounds. I rusticated it because as you can see in the second picture, there is a crack on the left side. That crack appeared after re-shaping it to it's present state. It isn't a leaker, but I decided to rusticate. The rim diameter is a bit wonky, Arghhhh!!! :evil: Sigh...

I was going to stain it a light tan, but now I'm not so sure. I kind of like it as is. What do you folks think?

I tried my best to hold a line using the small piece of dowel and my leatherperson tool on the sides, top and bottom. I'll do better next time.
This first pic is what I was in July.

2K2F00J.jpg

Second pic shows the crack - In my very limited experience I have never seen a crack in briar on second go round.

vxgdZLz.jpg

TEQZNde.jpg

xo6nEXd.jpg

q0DFlkT.jpg

DQ9L2Wl.jpg

MOid19U.jpg

BnhUCgI.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I like the style of the rustication. I'd say stain, polish, and you're good to go. What is the material of the shank/stem trim band?

Jun 27, 2016
It would work as a natural, too. Do you think that staining it would "highlight" the crack? It's hard to tell where it is in the pics right now.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I stained it British Tan. I will let it dry over night and finish it off tomorrow and post pics. It looks very good IMHO and the crack is very hard to see.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Shikano...
Just out of curiosity....when you were making this pipe and that serious crack in the bowl showed up...why did you continue to completion, and not just scrap the pipe? Was this pipe a "practice" pipe?
I could see the value of honing ones pipe-making skills, even on a flawed piece of briar. Just thought I'd ask.
Frank

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Frank, the only time I scrap and through out briar is if any potential problem areas leak. I performed a leak test on that crack and it did not leak through the bowl so it should be fine. I always point out any flaws in a pipe so people know regardless of whether or not you can see them after blasting or rusticating.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Here is the finished product stained British Tan.

I tried hard to find the crack but I can't see it. Even under the mag glass.

FLKCpcZ.jpg

unANxL6.jpg

C7GzIPw.jpg

Stamp should be better centered

q7qUwzi.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I much prefer the rustication. And that's coming from someone that doesn't own anything but smooth pipes. And I don't know why...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Handsome pipe. I like the natural version best, but the stain looks good. Professional look.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks guys; I'm just waiting for some feedback now from the Pipe Makers forum on the remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.