SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 27, 2020
Do people eat apple butter anymore? I use to love that stuff as a kid but don't see it around much. Just bought a jar at a farmer's market and it's much thicker than I remember, almost like quince paste, but still has that familiar taste I loved as a wee lad although I'm waiting for the clock to strike 9pm here so I can repeatedly go to the kitchen and eat it out of the jar while I stand with the refrigerator door open and get lectured about diabetes from my girlfriend....

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I never heard about that before. I could look it up but for conversations sake I'll ask you: What exactly is it?

My grandmother introduced me to grated carrots and apple, sprinkled with lemon juice.
It gets better as you keep it jarred up in the fridge but you want to eat up soon if you like the crispness, it gets more soggy as the days progress.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
I never heard about that before. I could look it up but for conversations sake I'll ask you: What exactly is it?

My grandmother introduced me to grated carrots and apple, sprinkled with lemon juice.
It gets better as you keep it jarred up in the fridge but you want to eat up soon if you like the crispness, it gets more soggy as the days progress.

It's a preserved fruit that contains apples, sugar, cinnamon, clove etc. and while it contains no butter it sort of has the consistency of it but not really. It's made by boiling apples in apple cider and is the color of stoved tobacco.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Sort of like a cinnamon spiked apple sauce with a jam like consistency or apple pie filling, apple butter is a staple cider mill treat in Michigan. It's great on rolls and pretzels.

Reactions: trudger

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
It's a preserved fruit that contains apples, sugar, cinnamon, clove etc. and while it contains no butter it sort of has the consistency of it but not really. It's made by boiling apples in apple cider and is the color of stoved tobacco.
Ah, like a marmelade or confiture, a "jam". I had many before but my first taste of an apple based one was only about three years ago, an apple/caramel, Christmas-y kinda jam. If I remember correctly it was from an US brand, McKennedy.
It was pleny good but I gotta say that I prefer berries or apricot as a jam, we also have a plum spread with Christmas-y spices available all year around, in the stores. Just delicious.

Hot toast. Golden brown, fresh and hot. Spread the good butter and any jam right afterwards.
I can breathe in a loaf of bread like this, like a sip of a pipe. Although I might need several pipes afterwards.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The best apple butter is made the old fashioned way, from the peelings and cores, after apples have been sliced for pies and canning. We did this every fall when I was a kid. My sister and I would run the apple peeler, mom would be making up pie crusts, and dad would be starting the peels and cores for apple butter.

The local Mennonite church has an annual Apple Butter Frolic where they also make scrapple and bake bread. Apple butter over fresh baked bread is a phenomenal treat!

Here’s a local place that makes the best apple butter you’ll find, outside your own kitchen. Bauman Family Fruit Butters & Cider - http://www.baumanfamily.com/

• Love
Reactions: yohanan

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Do people eat apple butter anymore? I use to love that stuff as a kid but don't see it around much. Just bought a jar at a farmer's market and it's much thicker than I remember, almost like quince paste, but still has that familiar taste I loved as a wee lad although I'm waiting for the clock to strike 9pm here so I can repeatedly go to the kitchen and eat it out of the jar while I stand with the refrigerator door open and get lectured about diabetes from my girlfriend....
I love apple butter, no one I knows makes it anymore, I always loved both my granny's version's of it, that being said, and for the record, you can't make apple butter out of bull shite.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Love it. My wife and I make a large batch every other year.

We alternate with making peach butter. Same concept as apple butter but with peaches.

Reactions: woodsroad
I used to eat it as a kid, but now, I just don't care for it. I even made some a few years back, when I was just starting with the orchard and had lots of apples to play with. It is just the taste of apple without the sweetness. I prefer an apple jelly. But, now I only use the apples for pies and pastries. I don't even eat jellies or jams that much these days.

But, cooking it is a great way to make the house smell good.

Reactions: renfield

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Yes of course. Pumpkin butter too. 100% fruit no added sugar is how I roll. Love it on rye or English muffins. Especially English muffins with a sausage patty.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff