PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Premiered on the American Heros Channel (formerly The Military Channel)in recognition of the 100th Anniversary to the beginning of the war to end all wars.
I've never seen so much pipe smoking in a Documentary! Multiple scenes of Germans, French, Turks(didn't see any meers :wink:)Serbs, etc. Had to be one of their top pastimes sitting around in trenches.
Very well done and a highly suggested documentary for any History lover.
http://www.ahctv.com/tv-shows/apocalypse-wwi

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Very high quality including all of the old footage. It is a don't miss film!
Checkout some of it on the link I posted.
New segments every Monday night.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Europeans certainly took to competitive sacrifice of physically fit males in a big way. No one changed

tactics or tried anything new. Millions of kind, interesting, otherwise talented people got chopped to ugly

bits for years on end. It does make you wonder. If it had been some other cohort being expended on a

daily basis, the world would have been more shocked and horrified than it was. Whole generations of males

in many countries were simply exterminated, all to the glory of dear old homeland. Looked at from that

perspective -- and not to in any way diminish the heroism involved in each and every death and mutilation --

it does make you wonder.

kanada

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2014
For any Canadians(and anyone who wants to read about WW1) I would suggest two big books by Tim Cook called Shock Troops and The Sharp End. 2 of the best books I've read.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Perique wrote, "Which is really a shame, as it was the defining event of modern history and reverberates all around us to this day."
Not long ago, PBS did a Documentary on the same subject titled, "The Great War And The Shaping Of The 20th Century".
http://www.pbs.org/greatwar/chapters/index.html

Jan 8, 2013
I just did a search on Youtube, Saint. The Great War And The Shaping Of The 20th Century can be found here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRtdSoeYQYk&list=PL038996EE01A51D5E

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
You see very little about WWI.
In the US, you're correct, but throughout much of Europe it is still taught much more in depth. One of the reasons WWI is not a big part of the US history curriculum is the fact that the US joined the war late (1917) and while Wilson did play a big role in the peacemaking process following the conflict, the Senate refused to ratify the Treaty of Versailles and subsequently the US never joined the League of Nations. During the 1920s the US economy rose in part of the rebuilding efforts required in Europe, but the US pretty much stayed out of European affairs throughout the 1920s and 1930s reflecting its traditional policy of isolation in regards to the region. Therefore, the impact of the war, while important for the growth of US trade, is not considered as significant in the US as it was in Europe. No fighting was done in the US. Not one factory was bombed. Not one trench was dug. The US lost approximately 120,000 men--and while that number is not insignificant, consider that the Germans and Russians lost close to 2 million men each, the French lost 1.5 million, and the Brits lost close to a million. At the Battle of the Somme in 1916, the Brits lost 20,000 men (roughly 10 percent of US losses)--IN ONE DAY.
Ironically, while WWI is typically not taught in depth in the US, it can be argued that the only real winner in that conflict was the US. The US economy became the largest in the world and New York replaced London as the world's global trade center.
@Saint and Anthony--thanks for sharing the links and sorry if I hijacked the thread. One other series I particularly like is Channel 4's (UK) ten part series The First World War. All of the episodes can be found on Youtube and here's a link to the first episode entitled "To Arms:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zViwCUtQ5o

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
Not at all pipefish, your comments added much to the topic!
Amazingly too is how much everything has changed over the last 100 years. Especially, in the way armed confrontations are fought. War over the last 100 years has evolved from charging a machine gun entrenchment to smart bombs and soon to be fought bloodless via wars of economies.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Excellent post pipefish, and thank you. Thanks for the link. May have to wait until I'm out of bourbon before I watch those.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I enjoyed the show as well and noted the great number of pipe smoking young men in the old footage and stills. I became interested in WWl when I was a youngster building bi-plane fighter models. What I learned was self taught by checking books out of the library. Our schools didn't go much beyond "All quiet on the western front" in its curriculum. A shame because there's a great deal to be learned from what sparked the conflict. I recently commented to friends that events like the plane being shot down over the Ukraine can landslide into a global mobilization of war machines in a relatively short period of time. It's wise to understand our history, I for one do not want to see it repeated.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
The comments concerning the preponderance of smoking in this documentary brings to mind a quote contained in the 1965 edition of "Weber's Guide to Pipes and Pipe Smoking," and which states:
"When the maimed and shattered lie upon the sodden battlefield, what do they most piteously cry for? Tobacco! In the hospitals, where are found the wounded--poor, useless wrecks of a-day-before's glorious humanity--what is supplied to them so liberally and is more essential to those apparent bundles of lint and splinters than medicine? Tobacco! In the heat of battle, when coolness is the most desirable of all soldierly qualities, what are the best marksmen doing? Smoking! As the smoke of their powder reeks from their heated rifles, the thin smoke of tobacco curls from their lips."

Status
Not open for further replies.