PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

finnian3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 12, 2015
Illinois
Anyone else ever watch Apocalypse World War 1? First, it is a great documentary series. Second, pipes o'plenty, every other scene has someone smoking a pipe. All kinds of styles are on display. One scene has a German or Austrian soldier smoking a massive pipe. Perhaps the pipe brought a touch of sanity to the insanity of war?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's dad was a very young soldier in WWI, and he married late, hence while many people my wife's and my age had dads in WWII, her dad was in the previous war. He suffered from poison gas his whole life, but was a cheerful and somewhat carefree guy, and became a father in his mid/late forties. His unit was inspected by General Pershing, and he was in the back ranks, an enlisted cook. And the General had the troops about face, and he inspected the back ranks and singled out my wife's dad for a short conversation since they were both Missourians. As a patient in VA hospitals, he was driven around by Bess Truman, future first lady, and met the comedy team Abbot and Costello. He also won a pancake eating contest which received national publicity.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I have not watched that, but love good history programming. Have to add it to the que.

If you like WW1 History and podcasts, I rec Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, Blueprint for Armageddon. Its free on most podcast providers and will provide hours of quality listening.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have not watched that, but love good history programming. Have to add it to the que.

If you like WW1 History and podcasts, I rec Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, Blueprint for Armageddon. Its free on most podcast providers and will provide hours of quality listening.
Dan Carlin is excellent! Haven't heard that particular show, but he's good.

Reactions: fightnhampster

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
My wife's dad was a very young soldier in WWI, and he married late, hence while many people my wife's and my age had dads in WWII, her dad was in the previous war. He suffered from poison gas his whole life, but was a cheerful and somewhat carefree guy, and became a father in his mid/late forties. His unit was inspected by General Pershing, and he was in the back ranks, an enlisted cook. And the General had the troops about face, and he inspected the back ranks and singled out my wife's dad for a short conversation since they were both Missourians. As a patient in VA hospitals, he was driven around by Bess Truman, future first lady, and met the comedy team Abbot and Costello. He also won a pancake eating contest which received national publicity.
I'm intrigued by the pancake contest that received national publicity. Those must have been happier times...

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
My paternal grandfather Isaac Roland was too old to fight in WWI. I'm aged 59 so think about that for a moment.

He was born in 1855 and died in 1936 aged 81. The reason for the strange difference in age is that he sired my father while in his 70's!

Though he was too old for WWI he did fight in both Boer wars (I have his silver medals with campaign clasps) and settled in South Africa where he was amongst other things a tram driver, sewing machine salesman, diamond miner and policeman.

Regards,

Jay.?

Status
Not open for further replies.