PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
For those who have tried both aperatif and nightcap, how similar are they? I have been wanting to open a tin of nightcap, but I would rather wait until I finish my aperatif if they are similar flavour profiles. I have read on some reviews of aperatif that it is similar to nightcap. But it seems that the similarity is in relation to MM965, in that they are both more robust blends. If anyone could relay how they taste the two blends in comparison, I'd like to hear. Thanks.
They're different. Nightcap has perique and no cavendish. Aperitif has cavendish and no perique. I find Aperitif to be complex but Nightcap even more so.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm inordinately proud of having guessed that the Dunhill blends, or some of them, would be picked up by another brand, which Peterson then did. So I will guess again that the Dunhill blends that are not available may be picked up again by Peterson depending on the sales of the ones they currently produce. These decisions won't be made by pipe smokers per se, but but accountants and the board of directors at Peterson looking at the sales figures.

Reactions: ofafeather

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm inordinately proud of having guessed that the Dunhill blends, or some of them, would be picked up by another brand, which Peterson then did. So I will guess again that the Dunhill blends that are not available may be picked up again by Peterson depending on the sales of the ones they currently produce. These decisions won't be made by pipe smokers per se, but but accountants and the board of directors at Peterson looking at the sales figures.
I hope you are right. There was only one Durbar and nothing else scratches that itch for me.

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I smoked my first bowl of nightcap (2013) tonight, and I have to say I prefer the aperitif (2107) right now. The aperitif has this nice buttery nut taste to me. It doesn't taste like chestnut, but chestnuts have that buttery, fatty, nut taste, so that's what I associate it with. Going to smoke the rest of the nightcap tin, hoping it gets better.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Aperitif is delicious, and my 2nd favorite Dunhill blend (after Durbar). Similar to 965, but more oriental sweet/sourness. I find Nightcap to be a very different beast altogether, and more of a "kick in the teeth with a steel toed boot" English, where Aperitif and 965 are silkier "slap with a velvet glove" Scottish blends, in the style of Rattrays Black Mallory or McConnell's Original Oriental.

Status
Not open for further replies.