Anything That Eliminates Odor from Pipes Sitting Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just quit bathing for a week or two, leave dirty underwear on the floor, and make sure to leave plenty of whisker stubble and shaving cream in the bathroom sink. Do that and I am willing to bet that the pipe issue will not even come up again. Or you can go the humidor route. It will help cut down on the aroma, but will be a lot less entertaining.
Winning post right there.
giphy.webp

No, the pipes is a Bjarne dublin that was loose before I started rinsing the pipe. It was collecting condensation in the mortice when smoked. It swole up, with the acidic condensation setting in the mortise. Swelling makes the whole whole expand, so the tennon was loose. Rinsing and drying it after each smoke made the mortice shrink once again to give a better fit, because it stayed dry.
On other luddite threads concerning rincing pipes, members posted pictures of stummels all setting in water between processes at (maybe) factories (Savinelli methinks). But, then we had other pipemakers post that they used water also.
Whatever, I have been doing it over a year with Beckers, Castellos, Ardors, Bjarnes, Gabrielis, Tinskys, etc... And, my pipes have had no problems, in fact the look as good as new and smoke great... and I am finicky, so take it for what it's worth. Many others on here report the same. Except Duane, who seems to be the only one who gets oxidation on his stems, and the rest of us have beautiful stems that are as shiny as new.
You can do what you like. I am just correcting your misunderstandings of what I posted.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Wet a Q-tip and wipe out the mortise. Them stem won't be loose from the swelling of moisture introduced to the wood.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Except Duane, who seems to be the only one who gets oxidation on his stems, and the rest of us have beautiful stems that are as shiny as new.
Why yes, look at those shiny brown stems!
KGNizOf.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
That can't be your bag, Cap'n. I only see one 904... :puffy:
I fill the chamber with coffee grounds, pour boiling water through it and it drains into my mug.
Then I have a clean pipe AND a fresh cup of coffee!
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
Every. Time. The. Topic. Of. Using. Water. In. Pipes. Comes. Up. The. Forum. Goes. To. Defon. 5!!
Mainly because some of those who are using that method get their feathers ruffled if you're not doing things their way, or offer a long used alternative to that method. I'm thinking about just starting a new method... pouring Zippo fluid down the chamber and through the shank and then lighting a match. That should clean it out real good! :mrgreen:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'm thinking about just starting a new method... pouring Zippo fluid down the chamber and through the shank and then lighting a match. That should clean it out real good!

It would also disinfect it and open up a whole new dimension of flavours! :D

Jan 8, 2013
The odor goes away after a few seconds of burning, Ash. And then you're left with a clean, slightly charred pipe. I recommend taking off the stem before the Zippo fluid cleaning method.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Ha ha, you’ll pile them jn a messanger bag but wont rinse them? Ok
That can't be your bag, Cap'n. I only see one 904... :puffy:
Yeah, and hasn't he said several times he doesn't own a computer? :?
I would never pile pipes like that, I only ever travel with one pipe, I have never owned a computer, and I would never let my stems get in that condition.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/please-show-me-your-pipe-bags#post-1295386

Status
Not open for further replies.