Anyone tempted by one of those Hilson Vintage from Rainer Barbi?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Search on Site

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Brebbia Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
3 Fresh Adam Davidson Pipes
6 Fresh Ashton Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes

Recent Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Preferred Member
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
You've probably seen P&C promoting them for about $80 each...
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/hilson-vintage-by-rainer-barbi/
I'm seriously considering adding a 7th pipe to my Nov-January PAD run... the straight bulldog.
Or perhaps I'll suppress the urge for pipes 7-12 and then be able to afford that Castello.
Has anyone tried one of these? Are these the same ones I see on eBay and UK/Germany shops for $200+?

cobguy

Preferred Member
Oct 18, 2013
I have 4 Hilson pipes ... 2 Hilson Vintage and 2 Crown Achievement.
They were made from older Briar and are very good smokers with a fairly open draw.

cobguy

Preferred Member
Oct 18, 2013
Mine are all the Walnut (Red/Brown) finish and no filters.
To be honest, I don't remember if they came with filters or not because I always remove them from any pipes that have them.
I think there is an old picture here somewhere ... here we go:

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
If you can get an unfiltered bulldog, I'd go for it. I don't own a Hilson, but I think those vintage pipes are great traditional pieces. The small bowls do fine for flake, plugs, and rope, since they burn longer anyway. Saving for a higher end pipe is also a good idea. Pipes can accumulate as I can attest, so attaining some real treasures is a good thing.

cortezattic

Preferred Member
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I bought a Hilson Vintage Dublin from P&C over a year ago as new-old stock. It is a fine smoker. Quality pipe from supposedly very old wood.

Don't know anything about a R. Barbi connection though.

mvmadore

May 17, 2015
Northern NY
I too own two Hilson Vintage, a slightly bend bulldog and dublin. both are very nice pipes and great smokers.

They are advertised as old briar but I couldn't tell you if it was or wasn't. I guess we just have to take their word and as I've not heard of any debunking I'd guess they are not pulling our legs.

Either way the Vintage Hilson's are a very nice pipe for the price.

dkaye201

Jun 13, 2016
I am, at the moment,smoking a Rainer Barbi by Hilson (VI walnut billiard). It is a very fine pipe. I consider this pipe at $85 a steal. The briar is beautiful, and it is a fine looking pipe. I don't remember if it came with a filter or not. I don't use them. As a matter of fact, I've been considering buying another one; it's that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.