PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

filmshooter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2017
I started sous vide cooking a couple of years ago and do it often now. Still amazed at the results. Anyone else?

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Got a circulator a couple weeks ago, and it we haven't done much with it yet, but it seems cool if you use it for the right things. Sous vide chicken breast sauteed off in a skillet was awful, but duck leg cooked sous vide overnight (all the "confit" recipes are pretty much the same) and crisped under the broiler was pretty good. Not better than real confit, but definitely less hassle. Funny you should bring this up - I'm actually planning to "stove" some tobacco with the sous vide tonight. There's a great thread on how to do that: The recipe of baking tobacco :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/the-recipe-of-baking-tobacco.70416/#post-35954985

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I do, but my wife doesn't like steaks made with it, which was one of the main things I bought it for. Believe it or not, I've used it to "bake" some briar stummels which were musty smelling. It didn't work.? I also use it to heat my sparge water for brewing. Handy tool.

RadioPiper

Lurker
Nov 7, 2019
Saugerties, NY
I do sous vide all the time! Steak is my favorite. Good cut of beef with some fresh thyme, a split cloves of garlic, and a few whole pepper seeds in a zip lock. When done I reverse sear on a grill grate on top of a charcoal chimney starter.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
For some things, it’s invaluable. With small kids, we don’t often get to eat right when we want. So if I take steaks off a grill at medium rare, they’re fully medium by the time we get to eat, and that’s disappointing. But with sous vide, I only char them for a minute per side on the grill, and they can sit a few minutes staying the perfect medium rare while we wrangle the family into chairs.

But it’s not for everything. I still prefer to braise a lamb leg for 5 hours in the oven.

Status
Not open for further replies.