Anyone Remember the "Columbo" Episode That Included Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I love the 70s-era "Columbo" TV show, and I distinctly remember one that involved a pipe-smoking killer. (An impossibility, of course.) I could just go back and watch them all from the beginning, but I thought someone here might know the episode I'm thinking of.
Here's what I remember -- which may be nothing like the actual episode! :) :
The murder involved people working in some kind of research lab (maybe computers?) or think-tank. And the killer, who smoked a pipe, was going to get away with his crime. But something was leading Columbo to single him out or find some specific evidence, so the killer set a fire in the place that destroyed everything important. In the end, he got caught anyway: He had cherished his pipes so much that, before he set the fire, he moved all of his work pipes to his home. When no pipes turned up in the charred remains, Columbo knew that only someone who knew there would be a fire would take that precaution.
So: Does this ring any bells with any "Columbo" fans? I've searched the episode summaries, but can't put my finger on the one I'm thinking of.
Bob

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Probably not this one. But this is what I found so far. Gonna need another bowl and a little more Web searching.
Mind Over Mayhem
Two of Columbo’s key clues are smoking-related: The first thing he notices at the crime scene is a match burned way down; then, he notices a rack for seven pipes (one for each day of the week), with “Thursday’s” pipe missing.
--
Web not helpful so far. Got me wondering now if you were also a Matlock fan? :)

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I think 12pups is right, you're probably thinking of "Mind Over Mayhem".
http://www.tvrage.com/Columbo/episodes/35431
Also, in the pilot movie/episode Columbo is asking questions (of course) and mentions that his wife would prefer he smoked a pipe instead of cigars, but he found there was too much stuff to carry around.
Yeah, I'm a Columbo fan...
Just one more thing...in a later season episode. A TV exec/pipe smoker gets whacked by his girlfriend and she takes over the network. Not a great show for pipe guys, I'm afraid.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You guys are great! I'll definitely check out "Mind over Mayhem" and see just bad my memory might be! :)
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Well, it was a good episode (with pipes!), but it wasn't the one I was thinking of.
The search continues...
Bob

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Ah bummer! I'm drawing a blank on it. I only have the first two seasons on DVD and catch the rest on reruns when I can. I only watch the '70's episodes myself...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I loved that episode. But just one more question! Does anyone remember the wine themed one with Donald Pleasance? The clue is the bottle of port severed at dinner at the end.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Great episode condorlover1! I love that you can learn different things along with Columbo as he pesters the suspects to no end.
My favourite one is the Johnny Cash episode. 8) "Squirrel-meat chili, good ain't it?"

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Isn't that the one where he parachuted out of the plane and the crash killed his wife? Check out the Columbo family tree on google. Someone actually worked out each and every relative of Columbo. Just one more question Mr. Ghost. What is the name of Columbo's dog?

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
"Dog"
Yes, that's the one he parachuted out of the plane. Aside from Cash, it was a well thought out episode in my opinion...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Brilliant! That's right his dog is called 'Dog' and a name I call all our four legged friends! You can see I get bored in the office!

Status
Not open for further replies.