PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was checking around and noticed that Mac Baren ODF is now 20% higher than it was 6 months ago from SP. I also saw where P&C has jacked up prices on a load of flakes 10%. I wonder when this started and if this is going to continue. Did Mac Baren raise prices or did SP? Has CI raised all of PC's prices because of the buyout or is it the mfgs? Does anyone from the industry know if there has been price increases across the board?

Dec 24, 2012
I have noticed on the ODF for sure. Luckily I was mostly complete before the increase. Will be interesting to see if you get any informative responses.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I luckily loaded up on ODF and am all set on that as well. I just checked 4noggins and he has had no increases, so it may be just SP and PC.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I know each week when I go to the grocery store it costs more on some items. Perhaps it will soon effect all product types.
I just hope Social Security comes thru later this year with a raise for next year. It is hard to keep up with rising costs if income does not increase.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have been diving on tobacco discounts from SP lately, so I haven't noticed the increase in prices so much,

but I am aware of it. Also, at my local pipe shops, a tin of Nightcap is up to $13.95, and the Sutliff blends

are at $8.95. I'm somewhat stocked up for now. And I can always haul out to the discount some miles away

and stake some gas money on less expensive tobacco prices tin-for-tin. But the thriftiest mode of smoking

is definitely losing ground in the price battle.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We've tried to hold the line or even reduce some prices. If there's an increase, there was probably a corresponding increase by the manufacturer/distributor.
Russ

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
This goes back a ways but..I really like Mcclelland bulk 2045.Ten years ago I could buy a five pound bag for $96..Today that same bag is $200 dollars..These kinds of price increases are pretty hard to take for an old timer like myself who lives on a fixed income.Let me include here that for the first 25 years that I smoked pipes tobacco prices hardly increased at all.I guess it's anyones guess why there's so many price increases these days.My concern is that young folks may decide that pipe smoking is not in their budget.I hope we're not the last generation of pipe smokers.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Tobaccageddon!
I've been cellaring for several years now. I don't know prezactly how much I have in the cellar (I'm not as organized as Roth, Peck, and Harris), but I think I now have enough to get me through to the end of my time here.
If not, then I will just make do with PA, SWR, CH, Walnut and memories.
Uh, provided those OTCs are still available once the Tobaccanazis finish us off.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I also noticed P&C's deal on buying 5 tins or more is not nearly as good a deal as it was. For instance, I got 5 tins of Germain's Plum Cake before the company was sold, for $35.95. Right after they moved the price increased to $40.79. I've seen this happen on nearly every tin product P&C sells. And a few companies, MacBaren being one of them, no longer offer discounts for buying five or more tins at P&C. I've also seen a number of slight increases on other tobaccos, like SWR and SWRA, both of which went up a $1 a tub since the move to PA. Carter Hall is slightly more expensive, too.
Hate to argue with Harris, but 4Noggins did raise their price on ODF and other MacBaren tins, too. I bought ODF in Jan. for $10.99 a tin. A few months ago it was $11.99, and now it's $12.99 a tin.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
jim, I did not look at Mac Baren prices at 4noggins, only Peterson, Wessex and Astleys. I am sure Mac Baren has raised prices across the board due to their acquisition and looks like PC has done the same because they were bought out. I am very grateful I have pretty much all I need now and I am only filling in a little here and there.

smokershaven

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio USA
The increase of price on Mac Baren is directly linked to the change in distribution. Phillips & King International used to distribute Mac Baren and offered discounting to high volume retailers for pipe tobacco. It was changed to Mac Baren/ Sutliff recently and there now is no discounting to the retailers.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
It's not just big brands, my local B&M has raised prices on there house blends as well.Last I heard there is another big tax hike coming by February 2014.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I can't afford a lot. But, I just keep buying a pound here, a pound there. Have a pretty good stash put back and will continue to do so...

Status
Not open for further replies.