PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not a bad idea at all, but I think I'm better off sticking to gifts that she would like rather than gifts that I would like :LOL:

Besides, I already established an anniversary tradition. She is a voracious reader, and she has a very long list of favorite books, so every year I just buy her as nicely-bound a copy of one of her favorites as I can find and write a little note to her inside. Easy peasy.
There are custom binders as well. Mine got me a copy of The Neverending Story years ago rebound to look like the one from the movie.?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I know why I don't enjoy VA #1. My Virginia pipes are all tall and narrowed chambered. Overly sweet Virginias tend to be more focused in those pipes and bite no matter what. No one has ever accused me of puffing too hard, or even "puffing" at all. But, VA #1 does do better in a wider pot chamber, but I just don't enjoy smoking Virginias that way. Therefore, some tobaccos (especially the cheap ones) that others may enjoy, I just exclude from my rotation.

But, it is fun to poke fun at them. Hell, if we can't have fun amongst ourselves by bashing a "lesser" tobacco, or a "lesser" tobacco company, and someone is going to take something like that seriously, then maybe socializing isn't for them. Those folks can just go smoke some Mixture 79 and think about the mistakes they've made in life. puffy

I can see how Va No 1 could bite a bit if smoked too hard. I've yet to smoke a Va I liked better in a wider bowl than a narrow one. But that's just me.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Welp, this thread has been a fun read. Not sure if I should go grab a jar of 400 or panic buy some more...

I can't totally expect to get a straight answer, but I am going to write someone and try to see if this blend will be discontinued. I wrote C&D about a couple post-2007 blends and was assured that they had taken all the steps to keep the blends around ..I would hope Mac Baren would do the same as they have to be a much, much larger company (?)

But, I can't deny that the 'writing is on the wall' for tobacco to some extent...hopefully just a few more years so I can really cellar deep.

I really love this blend. It reminds me of Mac B. Virginia No. 1 quite a bit but 400 is definitely its own thing. I only have about a pound of this around the house but smoke it several times a week.

EDIT: Welp, I was wrong...Newminster is owned by Villiger, not Mac Baren! Sigh. Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

marlinspike

Can't Leave
Feb 19, 2020
The PNW
Years ago, after yet another dopey, useless gift, I **as gently as possible** asked my wife not to buy me anything at all, since she frankly got me things I had no interest in (that year was a pair of cheap plaster bookends shaped like a an old crank telephone). I wouldn't trust her to pick out a book or a tobacco tin for me and it be something I liked (unless I spelled it out for her). We're REALLY not on the same page when it comes to gifts. :oops:

Reactions: BROBS
Called Villiger, got through to 'The Guy' ...he cracked up and said he was working on paperwork for the FDA at the moment and that these tobaccos aren't going anywhere. He was super friendly.
Most of the crap people have bantered about on here about the whole FDA thing has NOT panned out how the peanut gallery has predicted. No new blends, with probably a hundred brand new blends hitting the market since then. And, not all of them revived old ones.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I haven't tried VA #1 or NSF yet. All this talk of honey of made me think of Mac Baren Virginia Flake. A while back I pulled out a 7 y/o jar of MBVF, and it was fantastic. All the zippiness was gone, replaced with a pleasant spice, and the honey taste remained but had gained just a touch of clove or a even noble hops taste from something like a Czech pils (sorry for that nugget of tasting-notes douchbaggery). How does NSF compare to MBVF?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I haven't tried VA #1 or NSF yet. All this talk of honey of made me think of Mac Baren Virginia Flake. A while back I pulled out a 7 y/o jar of MBVF, and it was fantastic. All the zippiness was gone, replaced with a pleasant spice, and the honey taste remained but had gained just a touch of clove or a even noble hops taste from something like a Czech pils (sorry for that nugget of tasting-notes douchbaggery). How does NSF compare to MBVF?
SO YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ME POP MY TIN OF MBVAFLKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: krizzose

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
I like Newminster 400 alot, definitely get a honey and Graham cracker taste. No doubt it's more on the cased end. I put a couple pounds in the cellar about a month ago.

I never reach for it though. Despite all the great stuff in my cellar I'm BIG on a fat bowl of D&R AP Rimboche right now. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.