PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
It is a classic. It deserves a shot in my opinion. Im not huge on aromatics and the "fruity" stuff but I dont mind it and it has a great room note. It has been around for so long, and I have heard so many stories about it and all the people that used to smoke it. It is no high grade stuff and isnt going to be amazing, but thats not why people smoke this stuff. Give it a try.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Sometimes you get a hankerin for it and it is always there can not say the same for some higher priced and harder to get blends . Just because it comes in a metal tin does not always make it better and I have spent a lot of money finding that out .

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Amen, igloo.
I'll add to that. When you find one of those great blends in a metal tin, sometimes it is better to stock up than to roll out in search of the next best thing because you may never find it...
Back to the topic.
There are times when I genuinely miss the burning marshmellow smell of CBW - bingo on the comfort food analogy.

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
I started with some Mac Baren Vanilla Choice, which I think is about on par with Captain Black. It wasn't bad, I got some compliments on room-note, but overall it was pretty flavorless. Kind of bite-y too, but that was probably my technique to blame. Thankfully I tried MacB Vanilla Flake and that's helped redeem the company in my eyes.
Give it a shot, and if you don't like it, well, the stuff doesn't cost too much so tossing it (or giving it away) won't hurt the pocketbook too much. I myself find limited pipe-smoking time, so whatever opportunity I get is "treasured" time, thus my preference for higher-quality tobacco.
-Swilly

steveo

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Howdy, I wanted to chime in with some CBW appreciation. I don't "smoke" tobacco, but I do vaporize it (controlled modified electric heater I hold on top of modified corn cob), speaking of heresy. Full disclosure, I do it mainly for the buzz, cost effective is good, but I can't hang with smoke/combustion. I used to smoke cigs years ago, tried e-cigs but they are costly and/or a hassle. Had I not tried CBW early I probably would have walked away from vaporizing tobacco.
It does need to be cut, I like it about 3 parts american spirit (cig tobacco) to 2 parts cbw. Of all the OTC tobacco's I've tried it has the best flavor, the rest taste like crap, like nauseating. American spirit (or most plain tobacco) tastes like crap by itself, but cuts the CBW nicely, so that it isn't dripping out the stem and adds just the right amount of moisture to the airstream. The color contrast is nice too since this method only takes a pinch, you can make sure you get some black and some filler in each load.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
Love captain black for potpourri around the house. 8 dollars for a 1.5oz. bag you have got to be kidding me. There are a ton of great blenders that can beat it in price and quality.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I have a tin of CBR, and I picked up a pouch of CBW and CB Dark. The Dark is my favourite with CBR right behind it. To be honest I actually enjoy both when I'm in the mood for an aromatic, and I actually like those more than some of the more expensive Peterson or Hearth & Home aromatics I've tried. To each their own. Oh, and as for the Budweiser, it's a decent American beer that us Canadians think of as a nice light alternative to something with actual alcohol in it! Just kidding, I actually enjoy an ice cold Bud on a hot summer day, refreshing and light.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So when I started smoking, I found lots of references to Capt Black and that it was available "everywhere". Then in our Seattle Pipe Club meeting, someone was smoking some and it smelled amazing so I thought I'd easily find it "everywhere". Turns out that I went to 11 or 12 places that should have carried it and nobody did. I finally acquired a pouch of it and loved it so much that I bought 2 full boxes of it. Now I usually carry a pouch with me when I'm out and about.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
CB was the first blend i smoked you gotta do it just to do it but for the record as for available OTC's near me i Prefer McB Vanilla Cream over CB. unless i can find a place i can grab Carter Hall near me which i doubt VC is what i would run to in an emergency.

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Zonomo I believe I remember reading your posts of frustration trying to find CBW it was almost historical the trouble you went through to find what might be the most common tobacco in America lol I believe everyone has a horse in this fight and the truth is everyone is biased, the popularity of the blend makes these biases more extreme. People who didn't care for it will state the tobacco ruined there marriage and the people who think its okay will sing its praises to the heavens. When all hype is removed if you like Aros give CBW a try, if not move on.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you want to try Captain Black, I think you can get a pouch of it as a free sample online. Most Forums

members are spoiled by higher priced, more select tobaccos to like Captain Black real well, but most

members also have a favorite over-the-counter brand that they will recommend. Carter Hall seems to

be strong on this list, followed by Prince Albert, Granger and Half-and-Half, though all but CH have

detractors too. Once you've moved into even lower priced bulk tobacco like Lane's Q-1, etc., it's hard

not to compare these with the OTC's, with the OTC's coming out not so well.

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
I started out with what the shop owner called "Virginia 101" that I really enjoyed. It reminded me of the camel cigarettes I was hooked on for so long. When that ran out I picked up a pouch of captain black gold and I have really enjoyed that too. It doesn't smell anything like the CBW that my grandpa smoked and its not goopy. It may be their more"natural blend"

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I dont like the white! But the royal is good stuff. There is a place called Milan Tobacco that sells "OUR CAPTAIN BLACK" in bulk. This is really good stuff.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I used to smoke Captain Black White Label a long time ago, best I can remember it was pretty good. I soon moved on to better things though. I still smoke OTC's, just not the Captain, and not all the time at that. I do remember smoking some Captain Black Cherry one time and I didn't like it! It was very harsh and had a terrible bite!

Status
Not open for further replies.