Anyone Into Tabletop/Card RPGs or Board Games?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I watched an acquaintance play D&D via Skype with his friends. All I can say is that’s a whole different world... I have nothing against it, it looked like a harmless pastime, but didn’t look like it would be much fun to me. I think I would even feel silly playing it. I guess I’d rather be outside doing something. FWIW, I feel the same way about fantasy sports. Nothing against it, just not something I could get into. ?‍♂️
To each their own though. Obviously lots of people enjoy both of those.

Reactions: BROBS and danimalia

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I played MTG way back when it came out. Was pretty fun as a bored teenager as I've always liked reading fantasy.

I had a roommate that would play D&D once a week - looked like fun, but I didn't really have the time to join, plus they were SERIOUS about it. If I couldn't commit to playing every week (sometimes into the wee hours of the morning), I would've been a square peg in a round hole.

When I was younger, like 10-16YO, I used to spend days on end with friends playing stuff like Axis and Allies and other strategy games. The longest I've ever stayed awake outside of finishing a dissertation was four days, and luckily enough, I ridded the world of Fascists before just crashing out in the floor asleep. Loved those games. I remember that after a few years the box was all held together with masking tape, and pieces were replaced with those green and grey plastic army men.
I don't think I could stay awake for that long with a game like that now... maybe if it had more nudity and violence. puffy

1603288071092.png

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Backgammon. Easy enough to be fun. Challenging enough to require thought. And, you can drink and play.
It's a great gambling game what with the doubling cube. I remember reading a book back in the late 70's or so called "Backgammon for Blood". After that, it seemed impossible to lose, or at least know in advance you're going to lose over luck. My friends stopped playing for money against me eventually.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A couple months ago while making some deliveries, I dropped off an order at a local hobby shop and this place was bustling! Full of people playing various tabletop RPG type games. I was fascinated by it, and have been curious ever since. The pandemic shutdowns have got me thinking about trying new things and getting out more.

Anyone play any of these types of games? Have any recommendations for a n00b where the barriers to entry (i.e. complicated rules, cost of supplies) aren't too high. I was struck by just how many types of games there were. It wasn't all just sword and sorcery stuff, not that there's anything wrong with that. I'm mainly thinking about RPG and card-based games but I also have an interest in board games like Carcasonne, Ticket to Ride, etc. as well.
nope but only because I don't know enough others that do.

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I watched an acquaintance play D&D via Skype with his friends. All I can say is that’s a whole different world... I have nothing against it, it looked like a harmless pastime, but didn’t look like it would be much fun to me. I think I would even feel silly playing it. I guess I’d rather be outside doing something. FWIW, I feel the same way about fantasy sports. Nothing against it, just not something I could get into. ?‍♂️
To each their own though. Obviously lots of people enjoy both of those.
you could get into it. Trust me. It's like any other form of entertainment when it's well done it's kind of unlike anything else. When it's average it's only fun for some. The way to think about it is it's a group story telling session. If you play it with people with good imagination and such it can be a really great experience or it can just be like playing cowboys and indigenous peoples was for little kids. But if you get a good group it becomes amazing. Also how often can your ass kicked by Elvis (one game I ran ended with Elvis killing the party).

lies you were never that young you came out 43 years old and stayed there for 48 years and everyone knows this.
The 40's were the best years. I could sleep all night long without having to get up once to pee, and having all my hair. It's funny, the drinking age growing up was 18, but at 15, I could walk in any store and smoothly buy a six pack for my friends. I didn't even drink, even back then. But, I bought lots of beers for friends.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
The 40's were the best years. I could sleep all night long without having to get up once to pee, and having all my hair. It's funny, the drinking age growing up was 18, but at 15, I could walk in any store and smoothly buy a six pack for my friends. I didn't even drink, even back then. But, I bought lots of beers for friends.
at sixteen I could grow a beard that apparently passed as ID. Had a little over 50 percent chance of working.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There is also Fantasy Grounds, it is an extremely well built online tabletop.
Oh, I'm sure. We moved pretty quickly to Discord when the hobby shop where we were meeting closed the game room, because a couple of the guys were already there. We have since decided that we don't like the audio on Discord, so we went to Zoom because a couple of us were familiar with it. We just use Discord for dice rolling.
We have been a FtF group for decades; we moved to virtual only because of COVID - it's not like we spent time searching out the best site or anything.

Capt Morgan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2020
Dallas, Texas
Oh, I'm sure. We moved pretty quickly to Discord when the hobby shop where we were meeting closed the game room, because a couple of the guys were already there. We have since decided that we don't like the audio on Discord, so we went to Zoom because a couple of us were familiar with it. We just use Discord for dice rolling.
We have been a FtF group for decades; we moved to virtual only because of COVID - it's not like we spent time searching out the best site or anything.

You should really check out Fantasy Grounds then, it's the complete system, books, dice, pre built adventures. You do everything inside the application.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Never good at RPG's. Just not wired that way. But my kids play MTG and have roped me in during this pandemic. I tried playing back when it was released and have, apparently a butt ton of rare cards that they like to borrow for their games. We play a lot of cribbage, poker, and other board games.
You might want to check up on those old cards if they are from alpha or beta (the first two sets) The dual lands are usually worth hundreds. If you have a black lotus expect to get at least 3000 if it's in good condition.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
When I was younger, like 10-16YO, I used to spend days on end with friends playing stuff like Axis and Allies and other strategy games. The longest I've ever stayed awake outside of finishing a dissertation was four days, and luckily enough, I ridded the world of Fascists before just crashing out in the floor asleep. Loved those games. I remember that after a few years the box was all held together with masking tape, and pieces were replaced with those green and grey plastic army men.
I don't think I could stay awake for that long with a game like that now... maybe if it had more nudity and violence. puffy

View attachment 47829
I love axis and allies. Me and my friend just finished a game that went on for weeks. I won orchistrating an across the sea tank invasion into the ussr from Japan. It took about a week to build up that many transports and tanks for it. When I finally brought them over I annihilated all of Europe. My friend was like WTF just happened?!

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I used to love to play the old board wargames, like from Avalon Hill. Nowadays, I don't have the table-space, and I have a couple furry roommates that would destroy the board (which can involve dozens of little cardboard chits).

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I'vee never played any of these types of games. Always been more of a Monopoly kind of guy. Cards has always been Spades and Tonk.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.