Anyone Ever Successfully Removed The Stain From A Sandblasted Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have a pipe I love the shape of, with a pretty nice sandblast. Problem is…..it is a putrid dark green stai

In wouldn’t dare involve sandpaper, as it would ruin the blast, and God only knows what it may unearth.

So, does anyone know of a way to remove a stain without sanding? Even if some of that darker stain were absorbed pretty deep into the grain and couldn’t be removed, I’m hoping I could get away with a contrast look with a lighter stain over it.

If not, I can always go black, baby!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have a pipe I love the shape of, with a pretty nice sandblast. Problem is…..it is a putrid dark green stai

In wouldn’t dare involve sandpaper, as it would ruin the blast, and God only knows what it may unearth.

So, does anyone know of a way to remove a stain without sanding? Even if some of that darker stain were absorbed pretty deep into the grain and couldn’t be removed, I’m hoping I could get away with a contrast look with a lighter stain over it.

If not, I can always go black, baby!
Why don't you ask @georged ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Not that I've ever done it, but I wonder if (ironically enough) sandblasting might do it.
Haha, I thought of that too, however, not only do I believe that you’d probably have to blast it to oblivion to get every nook and cranny, it’s moot because I do not have the means.

Although I’d love to, as I have a few raw nording compass pipes I bought to modify, and a couple have some clear ring grain id love to blast out.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I meant sandblasting using fine sand. Like you see on those restoration tool restoration videos.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have used Murphy's Oil Soap and gotten the stain out of a sand blasted pipe. I was using it to clean an estate pipe that was just caked with grime. After numerous coats and scrubbing it, it cleaned off the grime and took the stain off.

Jun 23, 2019
I think you're latter idea is the winner.

I would strip the green as much as you can, either do a alcohol soak or even a hot (not boiling, just hot ish) water soak and then leave it in rice for a day or two. See what that gets you to and then stain over it with an appropriate/complimentary color.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I'd simply go black and have on several occasions. But black sandblast, or black looking (think Dunhill Shell, which isn't actually black) is my favorite finish, so I'm biased. Brown or tan sandblast makes me puke--not that I ever exaggerate or anything.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Spray Painting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Murphy’s Oil Soap and hot water. Give the stummel a soak, and then use a cheap dollar store vegetable brush. You don’t have to bear down on it, just scrub to get into the nooks and crannies.

The hot water will open up the pores in the wood, and allow the stain to be removed more easily. “Stain” or dyes are water or alcohol based.

You should be able to remove most of the stain this way. There will most likely be some residual left over, but it probably won’t be too noticeable. And green stain tends to discolor when it’s heated up, so whatever’s left will probably have a light brown cast to it.

Set it aside to dry for a day or two, and then maybe use alcohol and a brush to clean up/even out any residual stain.

As for re-staining, put the light color down first, then the darker color over that. Then you can lightly wipe with towel dampened with alcohol to remove the top coat and reveal some of the under coat. There’s a technique involved, so some experimentation to get the result you want is necessary. I usually seal the first coat with a light cut of shellac, which I make on my own with flake shellac. If you buy off the shelf, use a blond shellac and thin it alcohol.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: alaskanpiper