PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Just got a new Peterson Tankard. It came with a P-Lip and I just don't seem to be a fan of these. I drool too much when I smoke them compared to a fishtail stem. Also, it is a damn site harder to run a pipe cleaner through them. Any suggestions for smoking a P-Lip or should I just replace it with a fishtail?
G'day, I got a tankard a little while ago with the plip, Thort I better give it a go but not impressed, not suited to the roof of my mouth and not comfortable to clench , dropped pipe one day , broke stem so while filing a new tenon decided to file away the plip and so filed back to the rib and now smokes like the pipe I was hoping for , spose if you could just buy a new fishtail stem would be the go but wasn't really an option for me but pleased with the result I got doing it myself , hope this helps

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some new pipe smokers have a problem with chronic tongue bite, and though there are various ways to overcome that without a P-lip, P-lip might be a way to overcome it until technique takes hold. Still, various other chemical burns of the mouth and especially the gums could still occur. Whatever works, I say. I like my one P-lip pipe, a change of pace, but I wouldn't buy another, as already noted.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I kind of admire the pipe smokers who do mostly P-lips, except that it would limit the pipe brands or obligate me to have a lot of custom made P-lips. I really prefer a fishtail because it is less noticeable and bulky for me.

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
Getting ready to smoke one now. Peterson rusticated tankard,and some Escudo Navy DeLux

Attachments

• E1D93DB5-2C80-4281-ABA7-0DAF1BFBAB6A.jpeg
    E1D93DB5-2C80-4281-ABA7-0DAF1BFBAB6A.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 5

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have one Peterson, it has a p-lip. I like it.

If I buy another Peterson, it will have a p-lip also. I have plenty of pipes with fishtail stems.

Reactions: Paul lec

johnscs

Might Stick Around
May 23, 2009
Just got a new Peterson Tankard. It came with a P-Lip and I just don't seem to be a fan of these. I drool too much when I smoke them compared to a fishtail stem. Also, it is a damn site harder to run a pipe cleaner through them. Any suggestions for smoking a P-Lip or should I just replace it with a fishtail?

You can put me in the P-Lip Hater column. Apologies to Peterson, but the p-lip bit is just plain clumsy, uncomfortable, and hard to clean.