PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’ve had them on bents and straights and either way is the same for me. I like the way it feels for a few minutes but eventually it starts to feel like I have a pacifier in my mouth. It’s just too bulky.
you're used to those thin bits! lol

Reactions: bullet08

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
I really like the way they sit in my mouth. for me they work best on the bent stems.
They seem to stop me biting the stem so much & the smoke seems to flow around the mouth better rather than a fishtale hitting the tongue stright away. BROBS new deluxe is perfect for a p-lip. (awesome pipe).
But each to our own a.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
One thing to try:
Attempt to put it in your mouth a bit further. That indent on the bottom is technically supposed to sit on your tongue. Sometimes if you don’t do this and dangle your clench the smoke from the plip will go right into your teeth or gums.

When I side clench I have to put a p lip further into my mouth than a fishtail.

Thanks, I'll try that and you're correct, the pipe only cost me about $70USD. Probably cost me nearly that much to have a fishtail sent to me.

Reactions: seanv and BROBS

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
Not a fan, (in fact the p-lip coupled with no filter & system pipes I kinda thought I’d never own a Peterson) but….. I was in the store in Dublin a month ago and very chuffed to see how many fishtail stems with 9mm filters they had on the shelves, with loads of variety of styles too

Ending up buying two 606’s but could’ve easily spent all my ‘allowance’ and then some. Great store for a visit

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some pipe people really like the P-lip on all their pipes, or all their Petersons. For most, it depends on teeth and jaw configuration and pure preference. A number of pipe brands had P-lip bits. Friends gifted me with an estate Thompson house pipe (Thompson Cigars, I think) that had a Vulcanite P-lip stem. It is stamped "West Germany." The actual German source brand is lost to history. I think I would have been happy enough, but the Vulcanite oxidized after every polishing after every smoke, so when I had a new stem made for it, I went with a fishtail, and its been a good smoker, nice hunk of briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Both the P-lip and the great variety of stingers from the past harken to a time in history when pipe manufacture was a highly competitive large industry, with all kinds of patents and gimmicks introduced to gain a competitive edge. Pipes were sold in drugstores and from big city newsstands on the curb and in fancy hotel and office building lobbies, so the push to stand out and offer something unique was huge. As a marketing challenge it was somewhat like cell phones today.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
Smoking a P-lip System B42 right now. I own 3 P-lip pipes and like them all but did find there to be a learning curve with them. Once I learned and followed the system packing method they were much easier to use. I also prefer them when clenching. The fat bottom on the P-lip itself lends nicely to being held between the teeth. Additionally, I can understand why others found them difficult to clean. I use BJ Long pipe cleaners and they fit perfectly in a P-lip which solved that issue for me. I get why they aren't everyone's cup o' tea but once you beat the curve they deliver a nice cool and delicious smoke.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have 16 Peterson's and all but 2 are P lip.I used to not like them but once I got used to them i dont find them good or bad just another pipe.
The ones i am not so keen on are some of the deluxe grade pipes that seem to have a very wide bit,I am not keen on any pipe with too wide a bit plip or fishtail.

Reactions: BROBS and seanv

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
Not a fan. I found a NOS block meerschaum Pete with p-lip in an antique shop in Dublin. Sometimes when smoking it I'll turn the pipe, pointing the hole of the p-lip directly towards my lips so I can enjoy the flavor of the smoke on my tongue, defeating its purpose.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Not a fan. I found a NOS block meerschaum Pete with p-lip in an antique shop in Dublin. Sometimes when smoking it I'll turn the pipe, pointing the hole of the p-lip directly towards my lips so I can enjoy the flavor of the smoke on my tongue, defeating its purpose.
I’ll send you a fishtail pipe for that one if you want. ?