Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have 2 Petersons both with vulcanite stems. A bent with a fishtail and a bulldog with a P-Lip. I enjoy them both. I did not purchase the P-Lip for the promise it would provide a cooler smoke or anything like that. I like variety in all things, including pipes. For me, a few Petersons in my collection adds a little variety to the mix. I smoke a Peterson once or twice a month. They are older Petersons. I like the older pipes!

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
I have two P-lip pipes. For me, the different style of the mouth end does not fit comfortably against my anchoring teeth and just feels cumbersome and clumsy. I find I have to hold them differently and in a rather very conscious fashion which for me is distracting. Neither is used often because of this for me.

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Like Epip, I find the P-lip too much bit in my mouth. I have to shove the whole stem into my mouth about 3/4" and it is distracting and annoying. Redirecting the smoke upward does nothing for me, not bad, but no improvement at all. I have one Vulcanite P-lip pipe, a good Peterson shape, and I enjoy smoking it, though I wouldn't buy another P-lip, and I suspect I'd smoke it more if it were a fishtail, as are all of my other eight or ten Petersons. However, I have no problem at all feeding a pipe cleaner into the bit; it goes just fine.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ve had them on bents and straights and either way is the same for me. I like the way it feels for a few minutes but eventually it starts to feel like I have a pacifier in my mouth. It’s just too bulky.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I've tried to like them, but they are not for me. The mouthfeel is off, and that's the most important part of the pipe, the interface with the smoker. They do a great job of keeping the smoke off the tongue, and aiming it toward the roof making it feel like you just scorched it with a supper hot slice of pizza.
P-Lips and light beer are in the same category. Ok if that's all you have.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I think the plip is just...ok. It doesn’t bother me too much, but I just don’t find myself reaching for the one plip Peterson in my collection very often. I smoke it for a change of pace from time to time.

Reactions: BROBS

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I like them for a change of pace. I usually smoke at least 4 bowls a day so it's nice to switch things up sometimes. If I'm breath smoking correctly the smoke is circulating all throughout my mouth so it doesn't matter which direction it starts.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I actually like them. I only have 1 pipe out of 30 that has it(Vauen luxus billiard), but it definitely gives a cooler smoke and lessens tongue bite. This can cause you to inadvertently smoke faster since you feel the heat less, which won't really make things taste better, so you gotta pay attention to that.

It does make the taste less sweet though, since it's not hitting the tongue. So it's not the best choice for Virginia or something that you want to enhance that sweetness. For latakia blends it's actually quite nice since I don't mind the sweetness being toned down a bit, and I smoke these blends a tad more vigorously than Virginia blends. It gives a full feeling of smoke in the mouth.

They are chunky and are weird to clench, but I just smoke it for when I'm sitting and holding the pipe anyway.

Reactions: logs and BROBS

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Way back when I liked the P-lip. Now I find I just tolerate it as a change of pace. If I ever get another Pete it’ll have the fishtail bit.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Love P-lip. This discussion comes up rather often. Some like it, and some don't. But Peterson sells ton of their Sherlock Holmes series which mostly has P-lip. You could get them in fishtail, but not very often.

Reactions: dcon and BROBS

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Just got a new Peterson Tankard. It came with a P-Lip and I just don't seem to be a fan of these. I drool too much when I smoke them compared to a fishtail stem. Also, it is a damn site harder to run a pipe cleaner through them. Any suggestions for smoking a P-Lip or should I just replace it with a fishtail?

I didn’t care for the one I had and got rid of it. I’m glad I tried one though.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have two P-lip pipes. For me, the different style of the mouth end does not fit comfortably against my anchoring teeth and just feels cumbersome and clumsy. I find I have to hold them differently and in a rather very conscious fashion which for me is distracting. Neither is used often because of this for me.
is the bite area very round? Some from the 90s onward were like this and they sort of "roll" unless you get them between teeth.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot