PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Just got a new Peterson Tankard. It came with a P-Lip and I just don't seem to be a fan of these. I drool too much when I smoke them compared to a fishtail stem. Also, it is a damn site harder to run a pipe cleaner through them. Any suggestions for smoking a P-Lip or should I just replace it with a fishtail?

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
They don't work for me. I've had two and I won't have any more. They are just a silly gimmick IMO.

I too am finding this to be true. I know it is supposed to keep the smoke off your tongue and lessen tongue bite, but I just don't feel the benefit. I usually control my tongue bite by slowing down my cadence. Problem is, I will have to email Peterson and see if they will sell me a regular fishtail since the Tankard came only with the P-Lip.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Early on, I had some low-end Petes with acrylic, P-lip stems. I disliked those. Later on, I bought a higher end Pete with a vulcanite, p-lip stem and that was a totally different experience. (I'm a vulcanite fan in general). I like the p-lip for a change of pace, or when smoking multiple pipes at one setting (pipe club, etc.)

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I too am finding this to be true. I know it is supposed to keep the smoke off your tongue and lessen tongue bite, but I just don't feel the benefit. I usually control my tongue bite by slowing down my cadence. Problem is, I will have to email Peterson and see if they will sell me a regular fishtail since the Tankard came only with the P-Lip.
It will cost something like 35 euro plus shipping both ways to and from Ireland.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Exactly. That's why I spent about 2 minutes with the Dremel instead.
Either that or just sell/trade the pipe. The tankard and barrel are cheap so you would probably spend the amount of the pipe on shipping and the cost to do it.

Reactions: dcon

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Just got a new Peterson Tankard. It came with a P-Lip and I just don't seem to be a fan of these. I drool too much when I smoke them compared to a fishtail stem. Also, it is a damn site harder to run a pipe cleaner through them. Any suggestions for smoking a P-Lip or should I just replace it with a fishtail?
One thing to try:
Attempt to put it in your mouth a bit further. That indent on the bottom is technically supposed to sit on your tongue. Sometimes if you don’t do this and dangle your clench the smoke from the plip will go right into your teeth or gums.

When I side clench I have to put a p lip further into my mouth than a fishtail.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
^^This.
It takes some getting used to.
If you want to sell or trade your Tanakard let me know via PM. I've wanted one for a while.

Reactions: BROBS