Anyone Else LOVE Ten Russians as Much as Me? I Cannot Smoke Enough of this Stuff.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Ten Russians is easily top 3 latakia mix of all time. Only thing I was bummed about was that I didn't get any nic effect whatsoever. Kinda like Night Train for me...nothing, but people talk as if it's strong.

Reactions: danimalia and Rook

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No nicotine in that one for me and the heavy handed proportion of latakia throws the blend out of balance. I know it has its fans though as newer smokers often gravitate toward it.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I did not care for it when I first got it. After about 5 years in a jar, I finished the tin and didn't find it that bad, but I still wouldn't re-order it. For me, I thought the Latakia was just too much, and dominated any other components instead of playing off them. I have this problem with Lat bombs, sometimes. After the shock of Latakia in the first few puffs, they get a bit boring for me because there is nothing for the Latakia to stand out against. I've found I prefer zestier, more Oriental-heavy blends with a more measured dose of Latakia for that reason.

That said, I know I am probably in the minority among Latakia lovers when it comes to this one. I've been meaning to try some of the other Captain Earle's blends because they all sound pretty good, and I really tend to enjoy C&D's crumble cakes.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I did not care for it when I first got it. After about 5 years in a jar, I finished the tin and didn't find it that bad, but I still wouldn't re-order it. For me, I thought the Latakia was just too much, and dominated any other components instead of playing off them. I have this problem with Lat bombs, sometimes. After the shock of Latakia in the first few puffs, they get a bit boring for me because there is nothing for the Latakia to stand out against. I've found I prefer zestier, more Oriental-heavy blends with a more measured dose of Latakia for that reason.

That said, I know I am probably in the minority among Latakia lovers when it comes to this one. I've been meaning to try some of the other Captain Earle's blends because they all sound pretty good, and I really tend to enjoy C&D's crumble cakes.
I agree. I like latakia but more as part of a blend more so then as a bomb. I can enjoy blends like that but they get tiresome much faster then a milder English would.

Rook

Lurker
Jul 17, 2016
Fort Smith Arkansas

I love lat bombs. But agree with your critiques of them. I have found lancer slices to be a amazing balance between floral zesty turkish, sweet virginia, but intricate nuanced perique. I think its a perfect balance for an English blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.