PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
I bought a pair of Longchamp leather wrapped pipes last year on EBay to give to Dad for Christmas. Well one was rougher than it looked in the pictures so I gave him the good one and kept the ugly one. I smoked it a few times but I didn't really care for it. At the time I was mostly smoking aromatics and they just didn't get along with it. Recently I've picked up a couple of flakes and I started smoking them in the Longchamp because it has a smaller bowl. The Longchamp works really well with the flake(McCelland old dark fired)
This isn't the first time I've found something that works well when I smoke it in a different way. I really like this little pipe now!

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
No experience with them. But out of curiosity, was it McClelland old dark fired or Mac Baren old dark fired? If it is McClelland I've never heard of it and will have to give it a try

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Not that I like Longchamps, but:
DSC01680.jpg

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
No experience with them. But out of curiosity, was it McClelland old dark fired or Mac Baren old dark fired? If it is McClelland I've never heard of it and will have to give it a try
Sorry it's Mac Baren. I got my Mac's confused with my Mc's

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I had one that came in an ebay lot. I cleaned it up and gave it to a good friend who works with leather and smokes a pipe. Never puffed it myself, but it's a handsome pipe IMO.

Aug 14, 2012
Longchamps is/was the racetrack near Paris. I used to work for a restaurant company of that name. Are the pipes any good or junk? If similar to the restaurant company they put a romantic name on a pile of dung.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have a couple of Longchamps. They are OK smokers, but not great. They have a removable stinger that looks like a drill bit. The original Longchamp pipes used leather to cover some major flaws in the briar, but later ones were made by Butz Choquin though so quality actually went up in time. My bulldog is a pretty good flake pipe, too.
This one is a billiard I picked up. It looks like the one Elvis had.
04b5bc7e.jpg

The bulldog lost its leather. It was in piss poor shape when I got it on the bay for $5. I had Jason Gone do a rustication/restore on it and it came out looking pretty good.
a31355cc.jpg

warnerland

Lurker
Sep 22, 2013
Hello all!
I bought a Longchamp as a gift for my boyfriends birthday. It was an antique store find that could not be passed up. Unfortunately, it has a broken stem. I have been researching replacements and haven't been able to locate one. Do you have any advice? It measures 1/2" by 3 3/4" and is square at the base.

https://plus.google.com/photos/114372750489071817428/albums/5926655884531962529?authkey=CPzF9JCkstvZHA
Thanks!

Jess

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You aren’t alone Mark, I have a few Longchamp pipes myself, most of the ones I’ve bought have been good smokers. Longchamp pipes tend to be either very good or shit, I buy them in lots and they tend to reveal themselves in a bowl or two, I’d say they are 60/40 good-bad. I really like the feel of a warm leather pipe, it’s a nice change of pace occasionally.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed the opportunity to see the worlds foremost Longchamps collector/collection, former Governor Marin Mandel from Maryland. My wife works with his "handler" while he was still active in Maryland politics. He passed away a few years ago. Before he got too old, he invited me several times to see his collection of pipes, which he said numbered close to 1,000 pipes. I was always too busy and never took him up on the offer. Then he got sick, was placed in a home and passed away. Opportunity lost.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Al, when I was a police officer in Baltimore I was assigned on occasion to be on a security detail when Governor Mandel came to Baltimore for a political event. Each time I saw him he had a Longchamp in his mouth. He was the reason I got into Longchamp pipes. I now own a seven day set with a Longchamp case. Sorry you missed seeing his collection. I wonder what happened to all his Longchamp pipes.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@ray47 - some of his pipes went to family members, but there were no pipe collectors or anyone who had an real interest. The rest went to auction. Some ended up on ebay, but not many (and very few Longchamps). Thru my wife, I told his handler (a Maryland lobbyist) that I would be happy to help value the collection, etc. But, no one seemed to have an interest there either. Lost to time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.