PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My guess is that gifting Dad with a pipe or tobacco is too difficult without a direct request which many dads don't do. The pitch for the sale goes to the dads but doesn't necessarily get relayed to the wife and kids. It would seem that dads would let them know, but the retailers may know from experience they don't. I think I've seen one or two specials for Father's Day, but not so much site-wide sales. Pipe shops don't even try, since all they see are the dads themselves.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Retailers and etailers appreciate the support they get from the pipe community because it is already a tough way to make a living and getting tougher all the time.

As an example using Texas law since that's the state I operate in, if a retail shop sells you a 4 ounce tin of tobacco they purchased wholesale for $10 and sell it to you for $18, they pay $2.92 in taxes for that tin which means the net profit is $7.08 for the tin. Depending on the shop's overhead (marketing, employee salaries, the electricity bill, Internet bill, phone bill, etc, that $7.08 profit per tin disappears in a hurry. My own Father's Day gift is my family and whatever discounts I get during the day from them is always appreciated... although I am miffed that I've never gotten a tin of well aged Dunhill Royal Yacht from any of them. )-:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Given the availability of popular blends, or better said, lack thereof, it is wise to buy those when you can find them. Sales notwithstanding, the price of pipe tobacco in the USA is still very, very cheap. Wait on sales to purchase other blends that tend to be available all the time.

Here's the other way to look at it. If by some chance tobacco availability gets way worse and/or prices skyrocket, will you feel better that you said for sales and are caught short of good blends to smoke or if you filled your cellar at already bargain prices and are smoking your favorite blends all day every day?

Reactions: anotherbob

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
That would be glorious. But I’m just trying to be prudent. The window of affordable pipe tobacco is closing, and I want to have a decent supply for when we barricade the town with burning cars and take up positions.

This. I have been spending about $100 to $150 a month on tobacco. An unheard of amount years ago, but it's now or never for my favs.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.